Joeswine Sangiovese

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Folks,
I know that I am the resident “wine snob”, and I tend to will my tastes on others. Please understand that the following review simply reflects my tastes and my personal assessment. It is not intended as a negative comment on tastes that are different from my own…

Recently, Joeswine sent me a sample of his SanGiovese. I cellared it for a number of weeks and, finally had a chance to taste it last Saturday night.
One sip and I had to sit down. I was stunned. Once the shock wore off, I realized that I was screaming obscenities to myself. It took nearly 3 minutes for me to pull myself back down to planet earth. To compare this wine to any existing great work of art would be unkind and unfair to all of the talented artists out there.

This wine was like a beautiful dream come true. It was not good, not great, but damn near perfect. The way the different aspect ofthe wine complemented each other made me realize one indisputable fact. Joeswine gets it. He honestly gets it. Here are my tasting notes:

Color: Excellent
Deep Red. It seemed to be a tad bit darker and deeper than one might expect from a san gio. Color was consistent from glass edge to center (to be expected in a young wine).

Clarity: Excellent.
Although dark, the “lighter test” showed the flame image sharply through the wine with absolutely no haze. Looking down at the slanted glass also showed great clarity.

Aroma: Excellent
Rounded with a hint of oak in the background

Taste: Beyond Excellent
The first thing noticed was the softness of the wine, It was much like velvet. Great job on theMLF (I assume). The all over tannic structure ofthe wine was spot on, balanced while not bitter in any way. The wine has a perfect level of oak that added just the right blend of vanilla and wood flavors. The core flavors of the wine were well in keeping with a great sangio. The wine’sfinish was slightly oaky but in no way overly tannic or sharp. The wine was complex. There was a lot to see there.

Over all Impression: Stunning!
My impression of the wine is that each component comes together well and works together for a common good. No component is too little or too much. Try as I might, I simply could not find asingle flaw in this wine. Poetry, a true beauty! In the end, I lamented that Joe only sent a 375ml bottle and not a 750ml bottle.

It was an honor and a privilege to taste such a fine example as this.

Joe: Now that the review is in, time to give me the specifics on how it was made!

johnT.

Last edited:
Rousing review. I was following joes making of the wine. This was a kit wine that he did not mlf. Can you provide aroma profiles? How was the finish?....cheers

I have had the pleasure of Joe's Sangiovese and I completely agree with JohnT. It has to be one of the best wines I have ever tasted.

Don't I know it.

I was thinking about pulling the old "can't be sure / need another bottle" gag, but I do not think Joeswine would have fallen for it.

Latest posts

Back