I'm convinced! Buying a vacuum pump?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comet in TX

Reaction score
Hoping y'all can help me! I think I've read every post ever on vacuum degassing and bottling and racking and I'm convinced.

So here's my question, I can get a Schuco 130 on ebay right now for about $105. It doesn't come with any of the tubing or connectors. Does this matter? Where could I buy such things? I see on Wade's photos there's some kind of square looking connector between the vacuum pump and the overflow canister, what is that?

What things do I need to purchase to seal up the carboys? It looks like some racking canes, orange caps, and tubing?

Many thanks! White Merlot in the fermentor right now. I'd love to degas it and know I did it right!

Lara

Comet, I bought my canister, connective tubing, and hydrophobic filter from a medical supply house. There are a lot of them and you can shop around for prices. Here is an example of one supplier and their ad for the hydrophobic filter (the square looking connector) you saw in Wade's picture. You are correct on the items to connect to your carboy. Have fun. Let us know if you have other questions.

http://www.medexsupply.com/ems-supplies-airway-management-suction-units-and-aspirators-suction-accessories-replacement-parts-b-f-disposable-hydrophobic-bacterial-filters-for-gomco-suction-3-pk-x_pid-10221-mid-290.html

That s the hydrophobic filter that keeps out moisture from getting into your motor. thats not a bad price but if you watch it you can get a better deal all included for around that price but yes you can get all those supplies from a medical supply store. You can get all those hoses and fittings from almost any hardware store.

Here is an Invacare one currently $30. I have that brand and it has worked very well. Mine was new and this one is used and a bit older model. The handle is plastic instead of a wrap around metal handle like mine. New this model is $358 for the 115 V version.

<TABLE =vi-is1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<T>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=4>
<H1 =vi-is1-titleH1></H1></TD></TR></T></TABLE>http://cgi.ebay.com/Invacare-Aspirator-IRC1135-Suction-Unit_W0QQitemZ320483616204QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9e4fe5cc

Here is a link to the new model (same model number though)
http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd/inv_catalog/prod_cat_detail.jsp?s=0&amp;prodID=IRC1135&amp;catOID=-536885386

Thanks everyone. I do have one question. I know it doesn't matter used for the pump itself b/c the wine never goes through the pump, but if you buy used and it comes with all the tubing, canisters, filters, etc., is sterilizing it enough?

Just kinda grossed out by some of the concepts here. Ebay has new Invacare pumps with everything included and shipping for ~180. I had been thinking the Schuco pump would've been ok b/c I would have to buy all the tubing anyway, but it sounds like that's not a very good price then.

I REALLY appreciate all the input.

Lara

I plan to wipe the pump down with a disinfectant and soak the tubing, etc. in a bleach solution unless, of course, they come in sealed packaging and are, clearly, unused.

Even the hoses dont touch your wine unless you accidentally pump some past your carboy like when bottling. I received a new canister and hoses from someone so it concern me but I would have been fine just sterilizing the stuff with a sanitizer like Starsan. A brand new one for $180 if it includes everything is a good deal as brand new they sell for at least dble that and Schuco is a very good name.

I just know I love mine! I have been racking and degassing a bunch of wine yesterday and today and it works like a charm. I hove that the carboys can sit side by side so I don't have to lift them anymore!

I haven't bottled with it yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Wade is, of course, correct regarding the tubing not touching the wine but, if you are like me and store all your tubing together I would feel better knowing the tubing was sterile and especially so if the possibility existed it had been previously used. I have studied and worked in a pathogenic microbiology laboratory and some pathogens are downright scary.

Just buy new tubing for peace of mind. It will run about $10 for all you need.

Joan, when did you buy one girl- I missed that me thinks.?

Well,

I just lost the Invacare unit on ebay for $102 but found another with new canister and hoses and stuff for $98 (buy it now price) including shipping. So hope it is all ok.

Looking forward to not having to pick up full carboys off the floor.

I looked at that one....The guy said that it only went to about 15" of pressure......He might have been mistaken though....

hey Wild duk

this is a different one. already shipped so will let you know on this.

rick

That should be enough anyway, 15" is about where Ive been stopping mine now anyways. You will be fine but i bet it goes higher!

I talked to the guy about the Invacare pump on Ebay, but it sounded to me like the gauge was messed up.

I'm looking at buying a Thomas vacuum/compressor diaphragm pump off Craigslist here locally for $40. It will pull 20". No hoses or such, but I'm planning on buying the VV vacuum racking kit and adding in the inline filter. You all are very creative, but I'm not very handy. I think I'd rather just let them supply all the hoses and tubing and attachments knowing they've got it all worked out.

Does it matter whether you use 1/2 or 3/8 tubing?

Lara

Is that an oiled unit, you will be very sorry from what I hear from many people about that, its messy, it makes a big stink and needs maintenance.

Don't despair.... You might get a better deal.................

rrawhide said:
Well,

I just lost the Invacare unit on ebay for $102 but found another with new canister and hoses and stuff for $98 (buy it now price) including shipping. So hope it is all ok.

Looking forward to not having to pick up full carboys off the floor.

No, this is a medical grade pump, oil-less. I think they make the other kind too, but this one isn't.

Latest posts

Back