Home Wine Comps Illegal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodi Wino

Reaction score
Here's whats going on in California - Your state maybe next -
Read on.......

If you enjoy Home Winemaking Competitions or plan on entering please read on and voice your support.
CA home winemakers need your help, and the help of your club's members.
For those of you who are not aware, home wine competitions have recently been defined by the CA ABC as illegal activities.
SB 607 is the legislation recently introduced by CA Sen. Pat Wiggins that will make CA home wine competitions legal.
The first hearing on SB 607 is on Thursday, 5/15/2008. Only three days from today.
Susan Boyd (Sen. Wiggins' wine industry legislation right-hand person) says that so far she's only gotten about FIVE letters from individuals from the entire state of CA in support of SB 607?!
And she's only gotten ONE letter from a CA home wine club?!
You can cut and paste the following letter and email it to Sen. Wiggins, c/o Susan Boyd, in less than a minute.
Please send your letter TODAY! ([email protected])
Please also send a similar letter to both of your representatives, addressed to them, and encourage all of your membership to do the same.
Click on this link to find your representatives: MailScanner warning: numerical links are often malicious: http://192.234.213.69/smapsearch/framepage.asp
Senator Patricia Wiggins
State Capitol Room 4081
Sacramento, CA 95814
Dear Senator Wiggins,
As a California home winemaker I thank you so much for your quick action on SB 607.
Dozens of home wine competitions have been held every year in California for decades now, and until this issue came up none of us were aware that they were not allowed.
Thank you for seeing the importance of rectifying this important issue as quickly as possible.
Thanks for your help!

would like to understand more on this,i joined free the grape and they seam to have a toe hold on the problem,i would'nt think coming from cal. this was a problem,how could home wine making comp. be illiegal? pm me if you'd like////////////////////////

http://www.sweetim.com/s.asp?im=gen&ref=12

Basically its illegal because in Cal you can produce your own wine but you cant take it off your property. i.e. you couldn't take it to your neighbors house, to the fair, anywhere. Technically its illegal.

Scuba

Sounds like a glitch in the wording of their law which is going to be changed without issue. I seriously doubt California is going to do anything that will place any type negative vibe to anything wine related.

http://www.capitalpress.info/main.asp?SectionID=94&SubSectionID=801&ArticleID=41380&TM=63787.54

Here is a perfect example of their wine preference. The proposed beer tax which will place a heavy hand on their craft beer industry which is very prevalent in California. This has to be one of the most asinine and prejudiced legislative bills I have ever read. From what I have read about this, the presenter of this bill is a bit eccentric.

http://www.nbc11.com/health/15847424/detail.html

Sounds like more government in our lives. Why can't they just leave us alone?

Hello all,<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

On Thursday, 5/15/2008, SB 607, the legislation that legalizes home wine competitions, was passed unanimously by the Assembly Governmental Organization Committee.

Next Thursday, 5/22/2008, it will be heard by the Assembly Appropriations Committee where it is also expected to be quickly approved as the bill has no fiscal impact on the state.

The plan is to then have the bill voted on in the Assembly and Senate, and signed into law by the Governor, all on the following Thursday, 5/29/2008.

If you have not had the chance to sendanote in support of SB 607 to Sen. Wiggins' office or your State Representatives, now would be a good time to do it.

Thank you all for your help!

Back