Hobby-less dad wants to try this out....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanD

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just joined here for the holiday season for my father, and maybe some tips on a few things. My dad is thinking retirement in the next few years. Only problem is aside from volunteering at church & reading, he doesn't have any hobbies.

Anyway, he's a chemical engineer, 100% Italian & does like wine. My uncle got into wine making a few years back & my dad has shown genuine interest in it. With his chemistry background in mind, I'm interested in a how-to beginners book that does a good job incorporating the science aspect of wine making.

"The Science of Wine: From Vine to Glass" by Jamie Goode has good reviews, but of course my Barnes & Noble didn't have it in stock. I got one shipped to the store, because I want to look through it first to make sure it does a good job of explaining the science, while also being a good first how-to book. But it won't be here for another week.

So basically what I'm asking: Is there a good beginners book that describes the science aspect of everything as well? Or should I just get a good how-to book & add the science aspect in with it?

Any & all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your time. Cheers!

Welcome to WMT. This is a great resource for info. Not sure which books to read, most all are good but their recipes leave a lot to be desired.

I agree with dralarms, I started stalking this site last November and never got a book. I did have a lot of the equipment necessary since I had made beer for quite a few years, but this place is loaded with information, and the members are pretty nice too!

If you go to www.morewinemaking.com, they have a lot of free detailed information there, as well as some of the yeast manufacturers sites (www.lallamand.com) and additive sites (www.scottlab.com/products-2.aspx).

I am sure there are great books available and hope I get one under the tree this year (then I will go disappear and emerge whenever I get through the whole thing).

Oh, and welcome to WMT!

"From Vines to Wines" is a good one, from what I've read/been told.

Another might be "Wine Myths, Facts & Snobberies: 81 Questions and Answers on the Science and Enjoyment of Wine" by Daniel Pambianchi. I don't see any reviews on that one, but the author is well respected.

Best comprehensive (and technical) Wine making book that is out there is this one!

Techniques in Home Winemaking

books_-_pambianchi_-_techniques_in_home_winemaking.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds great ! I hope he enjoys this hobby !

I know I do.

Please ask as many questions as you have on this site - that is what makes this site so useful.

I agree with Mike and cmason that Dan Pambianchi's book is really worthwhile. And Dan is (or was) also an occasional contributor to this forum and I have always found him very responsive although he is incredibly busy as he runs a commercial winery...in other words, he nails down both the art and the science of wine making .

Last edited:
Wow, thanks so much everyone! I wasn't expecting this to get so much attention, so excuse me for being MIA. This is all so well appreciated, thank you so much!

Well it's not heavy rocket science, but knowing what happens to a grape between the vine and the glass is enough to get you out there ;)
And as has been mentioned, this forum is the place to be even if you don't have a question!!

Welcome to the forum!

This hobby is incredibly rewarding and also, at times, frustrating. Still, there is no better feeling then when you sip on first great wine that you made with your own two hands!

Vines to wines dedicates a large portion of the book to viniculture (growing and caring for vines). I found it a little thin on the actual winemaking process.

Unless you plan to grow your own grapes, I would go with Dan Pambianchi's book.

Well it's not heavy rocket science, but knowing what happens to a grape between the vine and the glass is enough to get you out there ;)
And as has been mentioned, this forum is the place to be even if you don't have a question!!

I find myself asking and answering my own questions! So if ya ever find yourself in doubt get on this forum! I'm not saying don't post your questions but I don't post half the questions I had, after a while the veteran members get in your head lol:ib

Latest posts

Back