Help please with TA and pH Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
We have 56 pounds of peaches thawed, about 1 quart of frozen sliced bananas, 6 frozen white grape and peach cans in a 13 gallon primary. We removed the 2 bags of fruit to drain and we have approximately 8 gallons of liquid. Adding the fruit bags back it is to our best guess 9 to 11 gallons in the 13 gallon pail. Peaches were pretty well macerated today but still have a ways to go. We do know that the yeast will break the peaches down more.

Added acid blend (My bad did not write down the amount), pectic enzyme (6 teaspoons) kmeta 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch more (which was a guess on how much to add) and then today sugar to 1.083. 10 pounds of sugar in 2 gallons of water. Should have used the peach juice.
Total liquid is about 8 gallons if that was not clear.

We have never tested our wine so this is what we need help with.
OG is 1.083

Strips show 3.6 pH (meter dried out) we know that the strips are not very accurate
Crosby and Baker Acid test shows
it took 2.5 ml to turn pink in the vial.

Do we need to do or add anything else? It is hard to tell by taste, it does taste sweet but not a lot of peach taste, thinking the peach will come forward once the rest of the peaches have been broken down. Thinking a few more cans of white grape and peach but we really do want the peach and not the white grape taste.
On another note we will add bentonite when we removed the bags of peaches and bananas.
We have more frozen peaches to make an fpack at the end.

Whew! a lot of information but I just want to be sure we are on the right track. I cannot find my notes from last year on how much of what I added.

I have not made a peach wine yet, so I might be way off base, but 2.5mL seems like too little acid (at least with the acid test kit I have). Given that peaches are so mild and sweet, it would make sense that they don't have much acid compared to, say, grapes. So personally I would probably add in some more acid blend.

Regarding the taste, if before bottling it still doesn't taste much like peach, you can probably put in a bit of peach concentrate and get a flavor more to your liking. =) Edit: I totally spaced on the fpack bit. You may find that your flavor is closer to what you want after the fpack. =) Sorry about that. My brain's not fully alive at the moment!

Last edited:
I agree on some acid blend. Peach with a higher PH will be like dishwater. Not being able to test properly isn't good, but I'd add some acid blend----1/4 tsp at a time---stir very well and taste test. See if the acid doesn't help bring the flavor forward. We set our PH at about 3.3 So 3.5 is a little too high.

Yeast was pitched last night so we think it best to wait now and test when fermentation is completed?

If we are understanding correctly, it is 2.25 (ml used to turn the color to pink) x .25 is .5625

Yeast was pitched last night so we think it best to wait now and test when fermentation is completed?

If we are understanding correctly, it is 2.25 (ml used to turn the color to pink) x .25 is .5625

I'm not sure what your particular test kit's instructions are... But mine starts with 15 mL of wine/must, 3 drops of the color indicator solution, then 1 mL at a time of sodium hydroxide solution. When it finally changes color, the mL of sodium hydroxide corresponds to the percentage of acidity. Eg, 6 mL of solution is .60% acidity. So, 2.25 mL would basically be (if the kits test in the same way) .23% acidity, which is really low.

That all said, I've never used your test kit before, so it may be way different than mine. If your acidity is at .56%, that still seems a little low.

Back