GRAPE SEEDLINGS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
I have been finding a lot of grape seedlings out in the garden...most likely they would be from the hardy Valiant and Beta grapes...they are not grafted.....

Would the seedlings be worth saving????

Would they be true to the parent????

If they would be good and produce Iwould save the plants and give them to friends for on their fences.

In all likelihood the seedlings would be crosses between two varieties and not be true to either parent. Unless you control the pollination there is no way of knowing for sure.

Are they worth saving? That depends on what you expect out of them. Who knows. You might get the next great grape and it would only take several years to know. Personally unless you want the experience, it would be easier to choose what variety you wan to expand and make some cuttings.

Got some extra room? Try raising a few and see what they turn out to be!

I could always put them someplace....also afriend has a chain link fence she wants to hide I have been digging her some Virginia Creeper...I can grow these for a year or two and she can put them along her fence...Will be decorative anyway.

How are the grapes doing that you planted along your driveway or road???? Got any photos of those?Edited by: Northern Winos

Here is one of the seedings I put out this spring.
100_1060.jpg

This one is a Steuben. They are all about the same size. Had one slow starter though.Edited by: swillologist

Northern Winos said:
How are the grapes doing that you planted along your driveway or road???? Got any photos of those?

I unfortunately didn't get them in there this year. The area I was going to plant them in needed some fill after the town highway department took out some trees and stumps along the roadway. The area is filled to a smoother transition now but it got too late to plant them this year. Next years project.

Swillologist they are growing well. Steuben is very vigorous-looks good there.

Latest posts

Back