Free SO2 and pH for Eclipse Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickymatch

Reaction score
Within the next week or so I plan on bottling my WinExpert Eclipse Merlot, which is my first batch of wine. Wanting to understand and learn more about the science of wine making, I bought a digital pH meter and an Accuvin free SO2 test kit.

I calibrated the pH meter per the instructions using a 7.01 & 4.01 buffer solution. I took a sample of wine and tested the pH, which read 3.61. I then tested the free SO2 using the low range test and color indicated around 28ppm of free SO2. Now the only time I've ever added k-meta was when I went to the aging stage....1/4 tsp for the 6 gallons.

With everything I've read, I should be anywhere between 49 and 51 of free SO2 for a pH of 3.6. So now my question, is a pH of 3.61 high for a red wine such as Merlot or for even a kit wine? If I adjust to around 50ppm, aren't I getting close to being able to taste the SO2?

I plan on aging at least half for 2+ years so I want to prevent oxidation as much as possible.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

3.6 is just about text book perfect pH for a red wine. I trust your pH meter but not any Accuvin SO2 test. You could be at 50ppm and never be able to read the test strip properly. IMHO they are worthless. Buy a Vinmetrica or the $100 A/O Rig from Morewine for accurate SO2 numbers or just add 1/8tsp if it has been 90 days since any top up addition and rest peacefully. Your wine will easily last 2 years.

3.6 is just about text book perfect pH for a red wine. I trust your pH meter but not any Accuvin SO2 test. You could be at 50ppm and never be able to read the test strip properly. IMHO they are worthless. Buy a Vinmetrica or the $100 A/O Rig from Morewine for accurate SO2 numbers or just add 1/8tsp if it has been 90 days since any top up addition and rest peacefully. Your wine will easily last 2 years.

Thanks Mike. I'll admit, I have a lot of experience with reading test colors as I had a reef aquarium for ten years but reading the Accuvin was a pain in the ***...to where I was questioning my eyes, etc. I'll add 1/8 tsp for safe measure and will buy the A/O rig from Morewine.

Thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back