Flextank 15 gallon racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hennelly

Junior
Reaction score
Hello! I need help figuring out how to rack my wine in a 15g Flextank. Does anyone have a good resource for racking methods with a Flextank? This is my first year not using carboys only. I haven’t been able to find anything. Thanks!!

You need a pump. When you get above 5 or 6 gallons, weight becomes a serious issue. Even if you have the manpower to lift the container (assuming it's a liftable container), you REALLY don't want to do it. A lot of folks like the All-in-One pump. If you want a cheaper solution, LabelPeelers has a good pump for about $170.

For a destination container? Rubbermaid Brute garbage can. I have 32 gallon Brutes, purchased specifically for winemaking, NOT recycled from garbage use! ;)

You can find 20 and 24 gallon Brutes, but a triple kit (18 gallons) filled a 32 gallon brute about 3/4, so I'd not go smaller. It's far better the container is too big than too small ...

Thank you!!! One more question: Since the container is opaque, how do you know when you get to the lees? Do you put the hose in a specific depth?

You need a pump. When you get above 5 or 6 gallons, weight becomes a serious issue. Even if you have the manpower to lift the container (assuming it's a liftable container), you REALLY don't want to do it. A lot of folks like the All-in-One pump. If you want a cheaper solution, LabelPeelers has a good pump for about $170.

For a destination container? Rubbermaid Brute garbage can. I have 32 gallon Brutes, purchased specifically for winemaking, NOT recycled from garbage use! ;)

You can find 20 and 24 gallon Brutes, but a triple kit (18 gallons) filled a 32 gallon brute about 3/4, so I'd not go smaller. It's far better the container is too big than too small ...

Thank you!!! One more question: Since the container is opaque, how do you know when you get to the lees? Do you put the hose in a specific depth?
Unless I'm 100% positive the wine is sediment-free, I lower the tip of the racking cane as the level of the wine goes down. For an opaque container, when you get near the bottom, watch the clear tubing -- you'll see when you start sucking sediment.

I recommend having a second container, such as a 7.9 gallon primary. When you start sucking sediment, move the outlet into that container. I wrote a post recently describing the actions I take to minimize wine loss. While it's written with carboys in mind, the tactics apply to any container, with some modifications.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/reducing-wine-loss/

Pumping is a good way to go. ,,, That said I wind up doing all transfers with vacuum. ,,,, a few hints, * a check valve (Granger) in the system stops back flow, * marking the racking cane gives you an idea how deep you are/ what is left, * brutes/ better bottles do not do vacuum but you can get by with a five gallon plastic pail at 5 inches Hg, * 3/8 ID hardware store vinyl tubing connects all rigid racking canes/ tubes/ check valve etc, * my fast shut off is bending/pinching the vinyl with a spring clamp, * running slow gives a cleaner end point, * putting a wedge under the carboy gives a pool of clean wine to rack from
36E0D19F-9A92-41F6-B82B-9F668A6E1266.jpeg

but you can get by with a five gallon plastic pail at 5 inches Hg, * 3/8 ID hardware store vinyl tubing connects all rigid racking canes/ tubes/ check valve etc,
Am I reading your intent correctly that a 5 gal pail can be used as a receiving vessel under vacuum as long as the vacuum is < 5"? Assume top would be drilled to accept bung and tubing. Does the top alone provide adequate vacuum sealing or is some type of gasket needed? Realize I'm late to this party but appreciate your insight.

Pails: not all pails are equal, a shorter pail can tolerate more vacuum than a tall six gallon pail. A juice bucket cover with vent hole is a natural cover BUT I wouldn’t expect more than 1.5 or 2” vacuum. I wouldn’t expect over -5 inch Hg ever, ,,,, well if you have something in and two inches headspace you might get more,, shorter side wall.
092B94F5-F932-4F1E-A169-4BFE17C6005F.jpeg
Am I reading your intent correctly that a 5 gal pail can be used as a receiving vessel under vacuum as long as the vacuum is < 5"? Assume top would be drilled to accept bung and tubing. Does the top alone provide adequate vacuum sealing or is some type of gasket needed? Realize I'm late to this party but appreciate your insight.
silicone sheeting makes an excellent gasket. I put together an acrylic vacuum jar (12 cm) using a pasta jar type container And flat acrylic with neoprene gasket. That will pull -20“ Hg.
I use vacuum in starting all siphons as with a better bottle (PET). It always caves in and at that point I stop, at about 1/5 inch Hg. So far PET always bounces back.
I have been using vacuum for a decade. I started wine just sucking BUT sulfite sanitizer is nasty, I decided not to give myself COPD.

Latest posts

Back