First kit done, lessons learned

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepherdQ

Pusser Newbie
Reaction score
Yesterday I bottled my first kit, a RJS Grand Cru Int'l Selection Australian Cab Sauv. I've learned a lot during this first batch, and can't wait to start another, but make fewer mistakes, such as:

Degas very thoroughly before adding fining agents. Pretty sure my wine will throw a sediment as I rushed and only degassed for about 4 mins nefore adding badding kieselsol and chitosan. No trace of CO2 at bottling, luckily.

Ensure all bottle necks are the same gauge as the corks I bought. Two wouldn't fit all the way in... they shall be consumed first!

Don't soak corks in iodophor solution. I used synthetic corks, plopped them in a bowl of the solution and left them while I prepped, and they all absorbed the iodine and turned an unsightly brown. By the time I noticed I had already racked from carboy to bucket in preparation and worried about oxidation if I delayed bottling to get new corks. I rinsed well and proceeded with bottling. I'll probably store the bottles upright to limit contact between wine and corks.

Other than that, everything went very well. PVC capsules are on and my wife is designing labels, which I will post forthwith.

Thanks again to all who answered my questions earlier!

We learn a lot as we go! I am constantly learning about this wine making. Either by my mistakes, or others on here sharing their mistakes or triumphs. You mention not soaking corks in Iodophor again, I would add do not soak corks, period. I have yet to make a corkidor, but just spritzing with meta works fine for me. Enjoy your next batches.

Good to have that first one under your belt! We learn from our mistakes as well as others here on the forum.

We all fall off the bicycle a few times before we learn to ride. Congrats on your first wine.

Thanks all, and millwright, I've taken onboard the message about not soaking corks, having read all about it (post bottling...)

Latest posts

Back