First batch of Itasca grapes harvested today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked 110 lbs of itasca today. The vines are three years old and just two vines accounted for 46 lbs. The sg was 1.102 and ph 3.35. Some berries were golden some were green, the must is a sickly green color. It also has a very unappealing vegetable smell. I picked today because of the sg, I didn’t want a high alcohol wine. I crushed with my boots and pressed with my homemade press which doesn’t put enough pressure on the grapes. I ended up with 6 gallons of juice. There’s not a lot of info on making wine with itasca, I did find a university study that said most people prefer wine that didn’t go thru MLF. Wish me luck, right now I don’t feel too good about it.

I picked 110 lbs of itasca today. The vines are three years old and just two vines accounted for 46 lbs. The sg was 1.102 and ph 3.35. Some berries were golden some were green, the must is a sickly green color. It also has a very unappealing vegetable smell. I picked today because of the sg, I didn’t want a high alcohol wine. I crushed with my boots and pressed with my homemade press which doesn’t put enough pressure on the grapes. I ended up with 6 gallons of juice. There’s not a lot of info on making wine with itasca, I did find a university study that said most people prefer wine that didn’t go thru MLF. Wish me luck, right now I don’t feel too good about it.
That’s a pretty good haul. Way too early to pass judgement on this one!

The only time I had Itasca was when @Cynewulf gave me a sample to try. It was a very nice wine though I can't remember the specifics. You may want to give him a try.

I’m going to be picking my Itasca in a few weeks. I have 10 vines, but I don’t think I’m going to get your volume of fruit! I’m anxious to try a good commercial bottle to see what to strive for. I’m hearing very good reviews!

I have my very small harvest in a 1 gal carboy fermenter. I was very disappointed in yield! Part of the problem is I do not have a press, so I had to use an old Victorian strainer (cone shaped thing they used years ago for separating tomato skins and seeds from juice). Anyway, the berries were mostly golden when I picked them. I think the must color is very unappetizing. It’s a golden tan with greenish hues. I had only 18 Brix and ph 2.94, so I added some sugar and calcium carbonate to adjust. I’m using D47 Lalvin yeast and it’s bubbling happily now.

Since there is no cap to push down, do you still stir it a few times a day? I’ve never made white, so I’m just winging it. Since I have such a small amount, I’m not sure what I’m going to store it in for secondary.

How is yours progressing?

I have my very small harvest in a 1 gal carboy fermenter. I was very disappointed in yield! Part of the problem is I do not have a press, so I had to use an old Victorian strainer (cone shaped thing they used years ago for separating tomato skins and seeds from juice). Anyway, the berries were mostly golden when I picked them. I think the must color is very unappetizing. It’s a golden tan with greenish hues. I had only 18 Brix and ph 2.94, so I added some sugar and calcium carbonate to adjust. I’m using D47 Lalvin yeast and it’s bubbling happily now.

Since there is no cap to push down, do you still stir it a few times a day? I’ve never made white, so I’m just winging it. Since I have such a small amount, I’m not sure what I’m going to store it in for secondary.

How is yours progressing?
More Wine has a good write up on the web about making a white wine.
The protocol I use involves step feeding Fermaid (nutrient). A dose on the fresh juice and a dose at 1.050 gravity +/- . On the second feeding I rack into a carboy with airlock which adds enough oxygen to keep the yeast happy. On gallon batches I try to size them to go from a 4 liter wine bottle to a gallon bottle and then possibly racking again to a 3 liter.

A caution, all white grape wine seems to risk stressed yeast and reductive flavors (sulfur/ stinky). A good nutrient protocol and low temps is essential for not stressing the yeast.

Last edited:
I racked my Itasca today, it’s extremely stinky. I think because my Avante yeast was bad wild yeast took over before I corrected things with fresh yeast. I added more so2 , chitosan and Reduless and vacuum racked 4 times. My entire shop stinks now. I’m not giving up tho. When I get back from vacation I’ll reassess.

I racked my Itasca today, it’s extremely stinky. I think because my Avante yeast was bad wild yeast took over before I corrected things with fresh yeast. I added more so2 , chitosan and Reduless and vacuum racked 4 times. My entire shop stinks now. I’m not giving up tho. When I get back from vacation I’ll reassess.
Sorry to hear you’re not having good luck. I read through the morewinemaking guide suggested for white wine. I already see a few things I need to change for next year, but I’m hoping to get to the finish line this year with something I can bottle.

Back