Farewell to the King :(

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BB King, the king of the blues, past away peacefully in his sleep last night. Yet another true national treasure is gone. He was 89 years old.

BB King was truly one of a kind. His influence in music not only brought an entire music genera into the lime light, his style, passion, and influence can be seen in countless numbers of his contemporaries and modern performers.

I had the rare privilege of seeing Mr. King live at the Blue Note in NYC. I went to this small intimate show convinced that I would hate every minute of it. I was, after all, a pure rock and roll fan. A friend of mine ended up dragging me there almost kicking and screaming.

About mid way through his first song, I came about a full 180. His talent, passion, and message all hit me like a Mac Truck.

After the show, I went up to the bar for a last round of drinks for our table. As I looked to my right, there was BB. I asked him if I could buy him a drink, he said "Make mine a Cavasier". After some small talk, he ended up joining us at our table. I told him that I had not really ever been exposed to the blues, and I will never forget him saying "It was always here waiting for you". The man then finished his drink, and departed.

I left that club that night a true fan of the blues and a huge BB King fan, and remain so to this day.

Class and talent are a rare combination these days.

Goodbye BB, Lucille will miss you!

Here is a link to one if my favorites. Take a listen, perhaps you might like the blues too.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQyCkwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4fk2prKnYnI&ei=uNdVVYysOYSkgwSvuYCYCQ&usg=AFQjCNFtIPxHbVkM3CD0n31m_k25EUhiQg&sig2=5cToJkg2NMYmebVtLfStaA

Last edited:
You said it well John! While his music will live on, he will be missed here on earth. An old soul with a big heart.

I got to see him atleast 4 times in various sized venues.
Got to meet him briefly when I worked security for a free (to the public, he got paid) outdoor show at the capital.
He was very pleasant and nice considering the stature he has.
I have meet lesser performers who were not 1/10th as down to earth and willing to say "thank you" to the staff around them. I dont want to name names, but he was a stray cat!

Anyhow, B.B. put on a show, got the crowd involved and gave you your moneys worth (with exception of the last year or 2 of his career).

And I think what has gotten lost in all of this is the guy was a serious, serious sick guitar player!!!!!

Man Elmer, you nail it.. His picking style, and the fact that he hated to play and sing at the same time (as he put it, "how can either be your best when you do both at the same time?") had been copied, used, or and influence by hundreds of the most successful musicians today.

I also loved the lyrics!!!! such as ....

I gave you a brand new Ford
But you said: I want a Cadillac
I bought you a ten dollar dinner
and you said: thanks for the snack
I let you live in my pent house
you said it just a shack
I gave seven children
and now you wanna give them back!

You know he is truly preaching to the choir right now!!!!

Last edited:
What a great experience JohnT. I have had the opportunity to d
See him three times. I will never forget it.

Back