Electric destemmer stops mid crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hit the go button…not happening. Power to the cord, switch is good, and there isn’t any fuse/breaker at the 15(?) year old destemmer. Pretty confident it’s the start-up capacitor, but that didn’t help me with 400 pounds of grapes to go.
IMG_0328.jpeg
I was able to limp through without tearing the head off of the motor bolt.
1ADAC83B-5194-44E2-B724-5B96FE676FD3.jpeg
I will find a replacement capacitor and also weld this nut on so I have a solid back up if I have a problem in the future.IMG_0339.jpeg

Hit the go button…not happening. Power to the cord and there isn’t any fuse/breaker at the 15(?) year old destemmer. Pretty confident it’s the start-up capacitor, but that didn’t help me with 400 pounds of grapes to go.
View attachment 105738
View attachment 105739
I will find a replacement capacitor and also weld this nut on so I have a solid back up if I have a problem in the future.View attachment 105742
thats MacGyer thinking

Amazed that the drill motor was up to the task.

Kudos!
The gearing is such that there isn't such a big load on the motor itself. I was surprised too. I did set the torque release on the drill very low, so that I didn't accidently squeeze the trigger while it was under load, which would have certainly torn the head off of the bolt.

Hit the go button…not happening. Power to the cord, switch is good, and there isn’t any fuse/breaker at the 15(?) year old destemmer. Pretty confident it’s the start-up capacitor, but that didn’t help me with 400 pounds of grapes to go.
View attachment 105738
View attachment 105739
I will find a replacement capacitor and also weld this nut on so I have a solid back up if I have a problem in the future.View attachment 105742

I had the same thing happen to me this year, with the same destemmer. My problem was caused by a stuck bearing. After taking the cover off and disengaging the motor I was able to get the rest of the gears etc... moving. The problem may have been caused by water from the power washing I did before putting it away last year.

I'm still working on this and decided to make it a winter project. I changed the cap, which I was so certain it was the cause and it did not fix it. I tested out the switch (which I should have done first) and it was bad. I ordered a replacement switch and it starts and runs, but I have to hold down the go button for it to continue running. I need to see if I got the wrong switch, I wired it back up wrong or there is something else going on.

Finishing crush with a cordless drill? That's got to be another WineMaker mag worthy article. Well played!

Crusher destemmer motors have a way of screwing you over and dying randomly. Have seen it happen like 8 times, hell in 2021 the motor died on the crusher destemmer at work during harvest and we had to have a guy come out and fix it.

My start capaditor blew out on me several years ago with only about three lugs of grapes to go. I was able to get through the rest of the cruch by giving the pulley a little boost. I ordered three capacitors to have two for back-up.

Latest posts

Back