Chocolate Raspberry Port, All in One Pump review.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargettken

Junior
Reaction score
The Choc - Rasp kit is very interesting. I had not tried a high alcohol fermentation before and this seems to have worked, albeit with extended fermentation time in my cellar. My temps are a steady 70 degrees, but my Step 2 did not finish in the expected time - it ran nearly 4 weeks longer. It is possible that my kit finished sugar fermentation and then underwent ML, as that has infected my winery; all my grape wines and kits go through ML whether I like it or not.

So after vacuum racking yesterday and adding Step 3 (sulfite, sorbate and finings and F-pack) I noticed a black and insoluble cruddy residue on my All-in-one-pump tubes and racking canes. All the hot water in the world did nothing. It was like sticky tar.

I commented on the All-in-one pump website to buy replacement tubes, and to my pleasant surprise Steve called my cell phone 20 minutes later. He suggested trying oxy clean (green lid) first. I did, it worked like a charm. Great customer service by Steve, and a great piece of wine making equipment - my most valued item.

The Choc Rasp tastes a little "green" but has great promise - very chocolate, very raspberry, and very hot. I expect that hotness to smooth over in time.

Pargettken, welcome to the forum. Are you going to forify the port ? What ABV did you finish at ? I added 2 bottles of brandy to mine. Its 3 years old now. It gets better every day. Bakervinyard

I don't know the ABV - whatever the kit is, it is, and for some reason I think it's 18%. And I won't need to fortify! I'm glad to hear yours is 3 and still standing. Where are you located?

Back