Brew belt or heating pad or ????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently use a vornado space heater and aim it at a couple of carboys at once. I think it would work just as well for a plastic or metal fermentation bucket, but I have just not had the need until secondary. For temperature check, I use an infrared thermometer and move the space heater closer or further away, depending on my desired target temperature. Typically the low heat setting a few feet away gets me in the 75-78F range. I thought about getting brewbelts but wasn’t sure if they were worthwhile. If you go the heating pad route, read the reviews first. Lots of comments that they are ineffective, but may depend on the source.

I've just been taping my thermometer probe to the side of my fermenter and side of my carboy so I don't have to worry about sanitation or oxygen leaking around the wire. I'm a newb and might be doing it wrong, but it seems to get a pretty good reading.
I do the same thing and it works fine. Just be aware that the outer surface will be a bit cooler. For me I found a 5 degree difference. It's not much, shouldn't matter usually, but good to know.

Inkbird and lightbulb in an old chest freezer. I Use it also to control the freezer when I need to cold stabilize. At least I did until the freezer died. I’m going to buy an upright freezer so I don’t need to lift carboys into the chest freezer. AB709E8C-0ABC-4950-99F8-CC39AC32FE37.jpegF1F152A8-DD71-49FE-811C-129C2B958BD7.jpeg

Back