Other blend your own wine kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maize

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the ELITE VINTNER's blend your own juices kits?

These look extremely interesting compared to standard kits. You pick varietals to blend with a targetted alcohol content. Playing with the site, a red blend at 14% Alc - 6 gallon kit - would cost about $100 with shipping. That is near or below what it would cost me for the limited edition kits - at George's fantastic prices! A catch here, is the juice is refrigerated, so you can't buy an kit and sit it in a basement for a month before starting it.

From the topic title, I thought you meant making a couple of kits (like a Cab & a merlot) and blending them post-fermentation.
smiley9.gif

I haven't tried EV yet, but perhaps when I can scrape some more change together from beneath the couch cushions....

Sorry about the confusion.

I'm trying to get more information from the company via email. Mike - the contact, seems pretty helpful. It sounds like the only really way to find out will be to try one - but I am full up for a couple of months between wines in the process and the limited kits George is sending each month right now.

Well, here goes. I decided to try a blend of my own to see how this works out. I ended up getting a mix of 65% Zinfandel and 35 % Australian Shiraz. You get to give it a name, so I named mine"Zinfanraz". They keep track of the vineyard the juice concentrates come from. They ship them frozen, but thaw in transit. They include an oak of your choice, yeast of your choice, but recommend what works best for each type. They also include K-Meta and a fining agent. Instructions are included and all the loose stuff comes in a neat little draw string bag. The bag the juice is in is like the ones the other type kits come in and put in a second bag. Eveything is shipped in a plain brown box and since it came from Canada, the price was not too bad with the exchange- $77 for a 12.5% Alcohol blend and even came withCustoms papers. The order was easy and arrived in 7 days including the weekend.

I am mixing it up tonight and will let you all know about the smell, mixing and SG later.

Stay tuned for more...Edited by: appleman

Well, the kit is going. Mixing is similar to most other kits, except there is no Bentonite at the beginning like Winexpert kits. SG was right on the money at 1.085 for the targeted mix. The juice is very deep, dark and rich, both in color and smell. I selected Medium toasted Frech oak. When mixed in, the whole kit smells almost identical to the Australian Cabernet Shiraz kit I have started. That one is ready for the next step after secondary ferment-will do it this weekend(.995 now). Naturally I had to sample that kit when I checked it for SG-talk about full bodied. It is very flavorful for such an incomplete wine.

Back to the new kit. I sampled some of the juice- very flavorful, but I think I might kick up the alcohol mix so it is a little fuller when diluted to the proper amount. It's not weak, but I think it could benefit from just a little more concentrate. Not sure how this kit will turn out, but it is an interesting concept. This makes the experience almost like making a fruit wine in that you get to choose almost all the ingredients going into the kit.

I ordered a chardonnay, just waiting for it to be delivered. I ordered it at 15% alcohol so I can play with the SG a bit and make sure I get a full 6 gallons after it is racked off the gross lees.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out in a few months.

I will anxiously await updates on these two kits. After I few emails, I decided to wait for the new Australian juices to come in. I am booked up on wine until late April and that is about when they expect it. I was also thinking about going with a 14% kit so that I can play with it a little. I was surprised they do not add bentonite though.

Have fun!

Maize,

I'm not sure how many of the grape concentrates are from there yet, but the countryof origin on the Shiraz was from Australia. It is listed as barrel 16. I chose to go with the 12.5% mix, although you can select your own. I did so because I want the wine to be moderately full bodied and flavorful. That is why I chose the RC212 yeast. It brings out the fruit flavors well and ferments up to about 14%. I find if you boost the alcohol beyond 12-13%, the tongue is overwhelmed by the alcohol - not that that is bad, but if I want a buzz, I will drink a cheaper wine. If you want Bentonite in your kit, George can fix you up with that. It's cheap and easily mixed. I am trying mine without the bentonite, since it sometimes strips color and flavor as it works. They do include Sparkaloid for clearing.

Update-Day two in the primary - an inch and a half of froth on the top. I stirred it up well to aerate and what a teerrific smell!
smiley4.gif

Racked off to secondary today. SG 1.010. Very dark, very good aromas and seems very viscous for a wine at this stage. Looking great. I will post a picture in the next day or two since it is in glass now.

Update on Zinfaraz - Elite Vintners

I did a final racking on this wine today. I must say I am impressed with how this is turning out. They tell you not to rush it, so I haven't. It was clear enough to bottle, but they say to rack it the last time and let it bulk age 4-8 weeks. Even at this point it is as good or better than the WE Selection International- Australian Cabernet Shiraz which has been bottled and is aging.

The French oak I used is very noticable as is a bit of tannins. The flavors are bold, assertive and likeable.

This seems to be a good site(EV) if you are into blending your own juices for making a custom wine with superior quality.
smiley32.gif

The site looks good. however, it seems almost impossible to get 6 gallons
of any blend below $100 except for maybe a Reisling.

That makes it pretty pricey with no return guarantee like you get on the kits.

Peter,

You may not have noticed, this site is in Ontario Canada. The prices quoted are in Canadian Dollars. The kit I did lists at about $95, but with the exchange came in at 77.90. This also includes shipping. Overall, it seems like a fair price in the end for a quality kit customized to your specifications. I tried the kit to wet my hands with a custom kit. Overall, I was satisfied with everything involved with it.

As far as a guarantee-
"We absolutely guarantee our products with a money back or replacement policy. The only thing we ask of you is that you give us a call or drop us a note telling us why you are unsatisfied. In that way we can build our knowledge base and bring better products to the market."
I will still continue to buy the bulk of my purchases from George since I have never been unhappy with anything from him. Great Site-Great Service-Great Price.
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

I like a good Shiraz appleman..may have to give this one a try myself

I think you would find this one a very good mix Waldo. I am hording this wine from my relatives who like to sample my wines. I hope the company keeps their juice quality up where it is after their move. The thing I like is that they stand behind the juices and actually send specific infornation on the juice- where it came from- even the barrel # it came out of so they can track it better. I'm hoping to try another batch of this one soon.

Glad you got sprung Waldo. I almost ended up in that jail last year, but I ended up sick that day
smiley11.gif
. It is a great cause. Thank you for your generous donation of time!
smiley32.gif

I did a Chardonnay from them and it turned out great, my best so far. It has only been in the bottle for 6 months and it is almost all gone. Everyone that has tasted it loves it and always wants me to bring some over...

Latest posts

Back