Black-Currant Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katein

Junior
Reaction score
Is there someone that has tried to make wine of Black-Currant, and what is it like?

Katein, forgive me for asking being from Hawaii we do not have access to indigineous berries and grapes of the Mainland. I am curious to know what is "Black-Currant?"
smiley1.gif

Oh boy....
smiley36.gif

How to describe a black currant....

Here's a website I've found about it: http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/curbl131.html

Here's what they say, though....
<H1>Currant, Black</H1>
<H4>Botanical: Ribes nigrum (LINN.)
Family: N.O. Saxifragaceae</H4>

---Synonyms---Quinsy Berries. Squinancy Berries.
---Parts Used---Fruit, leaves, bark, roots.
---Habitat---Europe.

<BR clear=all>
<HR>

<A name=des>---Description---</A>The Black Currant is occasionally found wild in damp woods as far north as the middle of Scotland, but is considered to be a true native only in Yorkshire and the Lake District - when found apparently wild in other parts of the country, its presence is due to the agency of birds. It is easily distinguished at all seasons by the strong perfume of its buds and leaves.

This shrub shows the only instance of a process by which double flowers may become single, by changing petals into stamina. It has a solitary, one-flowered peduncle at the base of the raceme, and its leaves are dotted underneath.

It was not so popular originally as the Red and Whitc Currants, for Gerard describes the fruit as being 'of a stinking and somewhat loathing savour.'

The berries are sometimes put into brandy like Black Cherries. The Russians make wine of them, with or without honey or spirits, while in Siberia a drink is made of the leaves which, when young, make common spirits resemble brandy. An infusion of them is like green tea, and can change the flavour of black tea. Goats eat the leaves, and bears especially like the berries, which are supposed to have medicinal properties not possessed by others of the genus.

<A name=med>---Medicinal Uses---</A>Diuretic, diaphoretic, febrifuge.

The juice can be boiled to an extract with sugar, when it is called Rob, and is used for inflammatory sore throats. Excellent lozenges are also prepared from it.

The infusion of the leaves is cleansing and diuretic, while an infusion of the young roots is useful in eruptive fevers and the dysenteric fevers of cattle.

The raw juice is diuretic and diaphoretic, and is an excellent beverage in febrile diseases.

A decoction of the bark has been found of value in calculus, dropsy, and haemorrhoidal tumours.

Oh yes,

Don't believe that they stink. That's the furthest from the truth.

Not only the russians make wine out of them. Germans do too, and so do the Poles. My gramma used to make a wicked wine out of them. She died 30 years ago, and my parents still talk about how good the wine tastes.

From my childhood, I remember that they are very tart berries, with a perfect hint of sweetness to them. They are not as sweet as blueberries, but I would liken them mostly to a tart grape.... I know people would disagree, but that's the closest I can come up with. I don't know what berries grow on Maui, but that's the closest I could come up with that you might know.

Some internet plant-stores sell the bushes, but here in Ohio, you aren't allowed to grow them. I guess it was because they had some sort of disease which spread to other plants most invasively. They've been banned here, and you can't even find them "fresh-picked" or even frozen or canned anywhere either. Funny, in Pennsylvania, which is about 2 hours from here, they're allowed.

Go figure!!

Hope this helps!

Martina

Martina, Much Thanks for the info. Sounds interesting, but rare to find...probably banned from Hawaii as well..

In a few states in the US , you’re not allowed to grow it , they say it takes over and very hard to control.
Makes ax nice wine even better a background enhancements

Destem them by raking the berries off of the stems. You can ferment them from frozen or fresh. I'd use 71B yeast to drop malic acid. Don't add any tannin. Add pectic enzyme. Get the seeds out after 5 days active ferment. You can oak it with medium toast American oak. I use cassis (black currant liqueur) in my fruit ports. How many lbs do you have fresh, frozen or pureed in a can?

Latest posts

Back