Black cherry juice in a pinot kit...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winotut

Reaction score
If a guy added black cherry juice to the tune of 20 oz (not concentrate, just straight juice, no added sugar or preserv's) to a 6 gal WE vitners reserve pinot noir, should he be concerned about anything such as acid, tannins, being too hot (alcohol) and/or unbalanced seeing as how the kit was originally structured for a lower gravity? Assuming the starting gravity is in the mid 90's versus the kits intended mid 80's...

Of note, final volume will be 6 gallons as the added juice would be in place of some of the water.

What would any experienced peeps do to help the wine be better, if it was felt anything need be done?

Last edited:
I personally don't think said guy has much to worry about. First of all, that guy, whoever he might be, probably unwittingly lowered the SG (and hence ABV) of the must, not raised it. Most juices are not as sweet as the high-brix grape juice from which wine it made. However, any change, up or down, was probably immeasurably small.
I suppose if this guy wanted to know for sure, he could buy another 20 oz. bottle of black cherry juice and measure its SG. This guy could then calculate, using a Pearson's square, how large an affect 20 oz of juice would have on his 768 oz of must. Perhaps this guy would even be so kind as to tell you about his findings, so you could update us here. :D

Edited to add: I now see that this addition was instead of some of the water. So, the SG definitely will have gone up. However, I stand by my assertion it will have gone up by a very small amount. Rough calculations indicate an increase of about 0.005 in SG, and so about 0.6% in ABV.

Last edited:
I personally don't think said guy has much to worry about. First of all, that guy, whoever he might be, probably unwittingly lowered the SG (and hence ABV) of the must, not raised it. Most juices are not as sweet as the high-brix grape juice from which wine it made. However, any change, up or down, was probably immeasurably small.
I suppose if this guy wanted to know for sure, he could buy another 20 oz. bottle of black cherry juice and measure its SG. This guy could then calculate, using a Pearson's square, how large an affect 20 oz of juice would have on his 768 oz of must. Perhaps this guy would even be so kind as to tell you about his findings, so you could update us here. :D

Edited to add: I now see that this addition was instead of some of the water. So, the SG definitely will have gone up. However, I stand by my assertion it will have gone up by a very small amount. Rough calculations indicate an increase of about 0.005 in SG, and so about 0.6% in ABV.

Thank you Sour_grapes!

A side note, I appreciate your going back and reading the OP. :try

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back