August 2014 Wine of the Month

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have started it in the bucket instead of the carboy!! Lol, now you have a JAOMess :)

I've never done that one, and have always been interested in if it tastes any good. Lots of people say that it needs a lot of sweetness to outshine the bitterness. I have an intense hatred of bitterness, so I've been nervous to give it a go.

Way to go Winesleeper on joining the banana club!! :br

Banana Wine Update

Got the banana wine started this weekend. Starting SG was 1.090. Looking and smelling good!

20140814_203321.jpg

20140816_084231.jpg

It seems you could zest the orange, then peel it and use just the zest and innards of the orange to get away from the bitterness.

Racked the Bochet Port & Wine.

The port accidentally dried out at 18% (oops), I thought the yeast had done around 1.020, but it appears I miscalculated. S.G. 1.002. I added 475 mL of the banana/vanilla bean soaked brandy to bump the ABV to approx. 23% (using my Pearson's square). I also gave it a 1/4 tsp each of pectic and amalyse enzymes to hopefully help clear the haze.

The wine is at 1.004 and is clearing nicely. It's a darker orange-y-yellow right now. Top up wine is at 1.000 and I still have about 2 litres of it after topping up the wine.

I didn't taste anything, but it all smells BANANA!!! Which is quite nice. And Deezil was totally correct - the brandy plus banana = butterscotch. It`s fairly incredible.

Looks like we're small but mighty this month with only three people contributing (I blame it on summer).

I'll update the OP shortly.

Let's get September going!!

Back