Apricot Wine Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahorevbob

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gang, I need some advise..... I have started a batch of apricot wine and realized that I am out of the yeast that I have used with great success in the past on apricot wine - EC-1118. The only yeast I have on hand is Red Star Premier Rouge. My understanding is that is really aimed at red wines. My only other option is to drive 2.5 hours round trip to Boise to the LHBS. Don't wanna.....

Will it work? Will I regret it?

ANY wine yeast will work, so if you have nothing else, use it.

Premier Rouge is designed to make full bodied red wines, so it's not ideal for a fruit wine. However, EC-1118 is pretty much neutral in its contribution towards aromatics and flavor, so you might not notice much difference. Again, if you can't get another yeast easily, use the Premier Rouge.

That said, if you can get quick delivery, I agree with @salcoco that Lalvin 71B is a better choice for any fruit wine. You might also consider Lalvin QA23 or Red Star Cote Des Blanc as well. There are many good choices.

At your next opportunity, purchase a packet (or 3) of each of the strains I mentioned. If you have the resources to do it, divide your next batch into 3 portions and use a different yeast in each. That will give you first hand experience with the differences yeast strain can make.

Latest posts

Back