Almost a bottle bomb

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemiller59

Junior
Reaction score
We bottled a batch that we thought was done fermenting and stable over a week ago. We had back sweetened it and sorbated it before bottling. It was tasting good at the time of bottling. It was a batch of welches concord grape wine. It was sweetened and sorbated on August 2 and we bottled it on September 20. We tried a bottle of it tonignt and found out that it had started to referment again. We pulled all the bottles and dumped it back into a carboy. I added k-meta and more sorbate. My question is this, what else do I need to do and how long do I need it to sit before rebottling? I haven't checked the sg of it yet, but should I keep checking it and rebottle when it has stayed the same for 3 days in a row? Thankfully we caught it before it became a bottle bomb. Too close for comfort. Thank you for any help you can give.

Jan

You did the right stabilization with kmeta and sorbate. Did you use the correct amount of sorbate, how old is your sorbate and do you keep it refrigerated? I usually let my wine settle off the gross lees before adding sorbate then let sit a few weeks on the quick drinking welches stuff.
I'd check your sg and make sure it doesn't move for atleast 3 days or even longer. Did it cloud back up from referm? If so let it sit another month to clear up.

Thank you for your reply. I don't know how old the sorbate was, I now have some newer stuff and have added it. I did take an sg reading and it did drop a little from the time that we back sweetened it. I am going to keep an eye on the sg for awhile and wait until it hasn't change for a least 3 days in a row.

There is no chance of re fermentation if the wine bottles are chilled in a fridge right? Because yeast can't multiply in cold temps? I don't want bottle bombs in mine either!

There is no chance of re fermentation if the wine bottles are chilled in a fridge right? Because yeast can't multiply in cold temps? I don't want bottle bombs in mine either!

unless you used a lager yeast, most likely not.

Latest posts

Back