Adding color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermenter

Reaction score
My latest wine from Norton grapes is more brown than red. Is there any reason I couldn't add some red food coloring to make it look better but not affect the taste?

After more research I can answer my own question. That would be a NO. Not sure of the reason for the color. I was thinking I might have mixed too vigorously at first with the seeds, skins, and all. The previous wine from last year was darker red. It does taste good.

Not sure of the reason for the color. I was thinking I might have mixed too vigorously at first with the seeds, skins, and all. The previous wine from last year was darker red. It does taste good.
The good taste is a great sign. If you haven't dosed with K-meta, do so, as it will neutralize the O2. If you have some oxidation, K-meta will prevent it from becoming worse.

Regarding the color, there are flower wines that produce a lot of color and are good for fixing that in other wines. Elderberry is another option. Making a gallon to use for coloring may help.

@BigDaveK, my memory is failing -- which wines produced a lot of color?

It has been in a new oak barrel for about 3 weeks now so I will probably bottle this week. As I said to my taste buds it is just fine. I will also use some of it to blend with another red I have aging.

@BigDaveK, my memory is failing -- which wines produced a lot of color?
Elderberry, oh yeah! Dark dark color! More of a purple-y grape color.
After that I'd say hibiscus, deep scarlet or burgundy color. It takes 2 oz dry flowers to make a wonderful dedicated wine. And I've used .25 and .5 oz mainly for color.

, my memory is failing -- which wines produced a lot of color?
Every wine can produce pleasing color. It takes a bit of playing, you are looking for a molecule which is:
soluble~ ex strawberry pigment falls out so I color my strawberry strawberry
resistant to oxidation/ metabisulphite ~ ex cherry degrades quicker so for five year color it falls short.
concentrated~ ex I have 120 grams of aronia berries in a five gallon strawberry or I will add 1 to 5% black raspberry depending on do I want a light rose or darker red and another nice red is mulberry juice. One vendor gave me red cabbage extract ,,, there are lots of choices but it takes some playing
color shade~ red is fairly common yellow or green,,, wow would need to talk to a supplier,, they have some tropicals that are neat

Last edited:
Good info, but I have never been on the fancy side of things anyway. I may just enjoy the color as it is and tell my friends it is supposed to be that way. And as always anticipation for the 2024 crop.

Even thought you say it tastes fine, can you post a picture of it in a glass and maybe a small amount of it also, so we can see how brown. I have had some Norton around Missouri that was very, very slightly brownish and to me or anyone else didn't taste oxidized at all, so it may be just fine and is just Norton.

And we may all look at it and say, I donno know, why.

Big Dave K. Elderberry, oh yeah! Dark dark color! More of a purple-y grape color.

I'm sure I read that years ago in Portugal, that if you were caught adding Elderberries to make your Port a deeper colour, it was an automatic death sentence.

Watch your step Kiddo! The Port police may be tracking this Forum. :D

Big Dave K. Elderberry, oh yeah! Dark dark color! More of a purple-y grape color.

I'm sure I read that years ago in Portugal, that if you were caught adding Elderberries to make your Port a deeper colour, it was an automatic death sentence.

Watch your step Kiddo! The Port police may be tracking this Forum. :D
I never read about the death sentence but I recall in the Duoro Valley in the late 1900's they ripped out all elderberry plants. Yeah, Port is serious business.

Latest posts

Back