Other Adding Cherries To Paklab Valpolicella Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajax

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Folks-

My wife has decided that the Paklab Valpo kit is her favorite of the line. To my last one I added 1# of Zante Currants to a 6gal batch. It bottled at around 12.5% ABV with decent body.

In researching the wine, I read that there should be a hint of cherries in the taste, which was absent in my final product. So I'd like to add cherries; I just need guidance in the variety, quantity, and form. In our small town, I have the option of whole frozen cherries in several varieties, or frozen juice concentrate. Any advice on what to use and how to add them to the primary would be much appreciated. I just finished a Paklab Sauvignon Blanc kit to which I'd added three sleeves of Welch's White Niagra concentrate. It 'cooked' like a witches brew, and resulted in a nice wine with the least amount of sediment that I've encountered so far in my wine making career. So I lean towards juice if that's the best option. Thanks!

Planning on doing a Paklab Sauvignon Blanc kit I have next March (after spending winter down south).

Was the Welch's White Niagra concentrate the frozen packs? Then did you add water to the 23L mark?

Thanks,

I think that is just welches white grape juice that you get in the frozen juice isle at the store. I like to add 2 lbs of raisins to mine and a cup of oak.

Nate

When you add raisins do you do anything to them (crush, mush)?

I have a old meat grinder i run them through. I have heard that the white grape juice does the exact same thing with less mess. I just get raisins much cheaper.

Nate

Cannew, I bought Welch's White Grape Juice Concentrate (3 cans, or 'sleeves'), made from Niagra grapes. I let the concentrate thaw & reach room temp, then dumped it into the primary along with the Paklab juice, and filled the bucket up to the 6gal mark. My SG after stirring and letting it sit for an hour was 1.09.

Ajax, we have been adding the cherry notes to our red wines for many years and find that adding 1 cup of cherry juice concentrate up front when we first do the mixing in the primary fermentor seems to work the best for us. We've done this to valpolicella and merlot with nice results. Juice from sweet or sour cherries will do just fine. When we didn't find the cherry juice concentrate we have also subbed in black currant juice. That was quite nice too. Good luck with your plan--it should work.

You may already know this but the zante currants are just rasains, not currants at all. We have also used the black cherry concentrate like they have at organic markets to add cherry tastes to our wines, also in the primary and to both sweeten and flavor later on when racking but before the final clearing. If you can make something your wife really likes she is much more likely to let you talk her into putting your carboys in the living room to keep them warm:) Crackedcork

Hi Folks-

My wife has decided that the Paklab Valpo kit is her favorite of the line. To my last one I added 1# of Zante Currants to a 6gal batch. It bottled at around 12.5% ABV with decent body.

In researching the wine, I read that there should be a hint of cherries in the taste, which was absent in my final product. So I'd like to add cherries; I just need guidance in the variety, quantity, and form. In our small town, I have the option of whole frozen cherries in several varieties, or frozen juice concentrate. Any advice on what to use and how to add them to the primary would be much appreciated. I just finished a Paklab Sauvignon Blanc kit to which I'd added three sleeves of Welch's White Niagra concentrate. It 'cooked' like a witches brew, and resulted in a nice wine with the least amount of sediment that I've encountered so far in my wine making career. So I lean towards juice if that's the best option. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back