Hey from Michiana

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FXibley

Reaction score
I have been making wine on my own for 3 years now and have been helping my uncles make wine since I was 12 or so. My great-grandfather moved here from a small town in Italy and we have been making wine from locally sourced concord grapes and grapes from Cali (cab, zin, barbera, sangiovese) ever since. We always do a natural fermentation (no yeast addition) and never add sulfites. The Concord grapes we get are from a farm that started growing grapes in 1888. We crush/destem up at the farm, press 1 week later, add sugar and bulk age. We drink all our wine within 2-3 years so we usually don't run risk of spoilage. We finally started aging our cab for 2 years about 7 years ago (we would always drink it) and have seen great improvement. A lot of Italians moved to this area when my great-grand father did so there are lots of home winemakers and we get together to order grapes from Cali. My uncles do about 60gal Concord, 60gal cab and 45gal of either zin or barbera every year. This year I am doing 100 gal of Concord.

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, you do have a lot of experience. I myself just do kits, fruit wines and an occasional juice bucket.

Thanks. I've been reading around here and it's interesting to see all the people making wine with kits. Personally I don't know anyone who doesn't make wine from grapes.

Thanks. I've been reading around here and it's interesting to see all the people making wine with kits. Personally I don't know anyone who doesn't make wine from grapes.

There are a bunch of folks on the forum who like you make wine starting with grapes. A few, I believe, even have their own vines. Stick around and you'll be meeting them.

Some pics from this year's pressing Oct 2017

_dsc5339-2698.png
_dsc5343-2699.png
_dsc5350-2700.jpg
_dsc5391-2701.jpg
_dsc5424-2702.jpg
_dsc5431-2703.jpg
_dsc5433-2704.jpg

Latest posts

Back