Napa and Sonoma wildfires

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not good news, I hope everyone out there is ok.

I actually have Cabernet that was scheduled for harvest this week in Sonoma. I'm sure harvest will be delayed.

Glad I'm a wine maker, and not a wine buyer. Although I make fruit wines, and my results are somewhat chaotic, when it is good, it is as good as some of what I have sampled from Napa and Sonoma.

I have family that have had to evacuate in santa rosa, last update looked like over 1500 homes and building destroyed. Really not good at all.

I have family in Ukiah. So far they are safe, but only time will tell. I can't remember hearing about 1500 homes being destroyed in a single California fire. And with containment at little or none. That area is dry grass and mountainous.

Some serious damage, and sadly, loss of life. Vines, barrels, and bottles are likely insured; but you can't bring back loved ones. I hope it settles down soon.

Wow, this is really hard to watch. I was near there (in Lake County) in the midst of wildfires a few years ago. We even looked at homes for sale in the area. After we were safely home, everywhere we were visiting was destroyed. This current fire, on the other hand, has moved like a wraith, before you know what is going on. Best of luck to everyone in that area...

It really is sad. Not just for the wineries there, but the entire area in general.

I was just in Santa Rosa three weeks ago. I talked to a winemaker there, and he had said the harvest was really challenging this season because the lack of rain and the week before, they had that bad heat wave.

So sad. I’m a member of the Signorello wine club, one of the best wine / food pairings I’ve ever been to. Beautiful grounds on the hillside overlooking the valley floor and vineyards..........

CNN covered Signorello earlier this evening, they didn't lose 2015, 2016 vintage they were off site and the vineyards remain intact, but all the buildings were completely razed and I guess all other vintages were lost.

CNN covered Signorello earlier this evening, they didn't lose 2015, 2016 vintage they were off site and the vineyards remain intact, but all the buildings were completely razed and I guess all other vintages were lost.

2017 was in tanks, on site. Lost 50+ year old vines. Super tough stuff, hard to recover from without great insurance, or a monstrous bank account. Hope they have one or the other.......

I've gotten updats from most of the Napa wineries that I've visited there, the vast majority of their employees and their wineries / vineyards are still safe.

Good news from Signorello, who lost their beautiful facility, their past vintage wines are all OK, as is the 2017 harvest, and the vineyards were not damaged (as had been previously reported). A lot easier to replace buildings than old vines.............

Latest posts

Back