Cold soaking prior to whole berry fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
I was going to do a whole berry fermentation and a cold so prior to that but I'm wondering if those two methods do not go together? If I do a whole berry cold soak and then I'm guessing that what I will have left at the end of the cold soak will not be able to be whole berry fermented?

What are you hoping to accomplish with a whole berry fermentation? Cold soak should only be done on perfect fruit and typically on those varietals that need more color extraction.

My understanding is that it would yield a less astringent taste more fruit flavor. I'm going to do a Pinot , Zin and Cab.

Last edited:
Based on my research (and last year's cold soak of a Zinfandel / Merlot field blend), the cold soak should produce rounder, softer tannins and better colour. I'm not sure if a whole berry fermentation, though, would change that. Note that I have yet to taste the Zin/Merlot after bottling, so mid-October will hopefully yield a nice surprise.

I was going to do a whole berry fermentation and a cold so prior to that but I'm wondering if those two methods do not go together? If I do a whole berry cold soak and then I'm guessing that what I will have left at the end of the cold soak will not be able to be whole berry fermented?

I have no idea. But, as one person once said: "In winemaking there are no absolute truths, no universal approach, no proven methodology". Give it a shot. Be a trail blazer. See what happens.

Back