First wine from grapes, now what?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vallka

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is the first time here for me.
I just made the first batch of all grape wine, (I also brew all-grain beer So I am very familiar with sanitation, hydrometers, Yeasts, etc)
I got the grapes from my mother's garden, pretty sure they are at Concorde grape. Crushed, added Campden waited 24 hours, took a hydrometer reading of 1.075 added some sugar to bring it up to 1.092. Pitch the yeast and Pushed down the must to her three times a day for a week. Just pressed it and moved it into the secondary fermentation. Hydrometer reading was 1.020, and it tasted a bit tart/bitter. Not sure if that's how it should be, or what I should do.
Thank you all for your help

It's described as "green." After the remaining fermentation is done (should be just a few days) give it 2 or 3 weeks to settle and rack it. Potassium metabisulfite (campden) can be added at that time, .25 tsp per 5 or 6 gallons for powder, one tablet for each gallon for campden. Then rack every 3 months for 6 to 12 months, tasting each time and adding sulfite each time. When it gets better tasting, you can stabilize with potassium sorbate (sulfite dose at the same time,) backsweeten, let it sit a couple of days to make sure it won't restart fermentation, and bottle. Racking, settling, racking settling after fermentation has stopped will get almost all of the yeast out so the sorbate will be more effective. Taking shortcuts can leave you with cloudy, yeasty wine, or worse, bottle bombs. Anyhow, to answer your question, age is what your wine needs.

Latest posts

Back