Chardonnay fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applelover12

Reaction score
After 15 days my chardonnay is still not finished.
Is it stuck fermentation?
It started at SG 1.092
On the 25 may it was 1.036
Today 1.022 and no bubbles. It tasted too sweet.

Is it stuck?
Wine ruined??

No... all is well. Wine can't read a calendar. Remain calm. Temp? Type of yeast? Any off smells?

Give your wine a good stir and raise the temp to 70*. Then, be patient. As long as it is fermenting, you're okay.

Be careful about which nutrients you add at this point. My understanding is that you don't want to use certain nutrients past a certain amount of sugar depletion. I don't have the specifics, but I'm sure some others do.

I think the most important factor at this point would be temperature. Which yeast did you use and what temperature is it at now?

If this wine has had no nutrients (or very little extra added), assuming it isn't a kit. You might want to add a bit of Fermaid-O or K to it. The general rule would say none past the 2/3 sugar point, which is 1.033 on this wine, but if it hasn't had much and particularly, since it is moving slowly it is probably safe to add maybe a quarter of the normal dosage. I would agree it may need to be warmed up some, if it is much below about 65 F. If you decide your yeast has given all that it will give (which it probably shouldn't have if it is any wine yeast) hit it with some EC-1118 rehydrated properly.

checked today... I noticed bubbles. So its still going.
I took a hydrometer check... IT SHOWNED HIGHER THAN YESTERDAY.

Then I got the idea that it measures not just sugar. After knocking on the wine thief a little bobbles was released and it went to 1.020

Still have to wait.

checked today... I noticed bubbles. So its still going.
I took a hydrometer check... IT SHOWNED HIGHER THAN YESTERDAY.

Then I got the idea that it measures not just sugar. After knocking on the wine thief a little bobbles was released and it went to 1.020

Still have to wait.

It's typical, when measuring the SG of a fermenting wine with a hydrometer, to have the CO2 bubbles accumulate on the hydrometer and cause it to float higher and higher as the bubble accumulate. You can't do it with a wine thief, but with a test cylinder, you can cover and shake it to release a lot of that CO2 for a better hydrometer reading.

Latest posts

Back