clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revid

Junior
Reaction score
I am in the process of making some sparkling wine from apples.I have it settling now and added a two part settling/clearing liquid,I forget what its called and although its clearing a bit,its going to slow for me.Is there anything I can add that wont fool up the taste and help it clear? Whats the best thing to aid settling and clearing of homemade wines so I know for the future? I also want to carbonate the wine so any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.thanks

Adding pectic enzyme prior to fermentation will help prevent pectic haze. It's less effective after alcoholic fermentation. Bentonite addition as a fining agent prior to AF also aids in clearing later on.

Cheers!
-johann

I had the same problem with my skeeter pee I'm doing now! Was not clearing well after adding superkleer / duelfine. I added some pectic enzyme and it was clear as water within days!

super klear likes warm temp make sure wine is at least 70deg.

I did that but it didn't help either. My Temp was about 73-75 and it still didn't clear until adding the pectic enzyme to it. It did drop a lot of sediment but it was very hazy I just checked my notes and i added 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, so total of 1.5 tsp for my 3 gallon batch. The original skeeter pee did not call for the enzyme so i didn't add it at fermentation, next time i will.

Now for the dragon blood, it does call for the enzyme at the start and i had no clearing issues with that....

Revid, i would try the pectic enzyme before adding anymore clearing agents. The pectic enzyme will not alter the wine at all. And of course make sure your temp is at least 70 degrees.

I've found pectin enzyme essential for fresh apples. As for carbonating, I like to use sugar. Haven't tried disgorging, I just decant off the lees. Be sure to use champagne, beer or other bottles rated for the pressure. I use the clip top beer bottles for convenience.

Latest posts

Back