Making multiple kits at once

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
Has anyone every combined 5 of the same kits at once to produce one larger batch? Example, 5 Exclipse Lodi cabs in one tank? If so, did you simply just use all the ingredients X 5, water, the 5 yeast packs, clarifiers, etc.? Curious. Winexpert would not comment as they have never tested that volume. I'd like to make it in 30 gallon batches vs just 6.

Thanks.

yes it should work. to increase your success, I would hydrate the yeast with go-ferm and add yeast nutrient Fermaid-K once fermentation has started.

I have never done 5 kits but I have done 4 at one time in 30 gallon Brute. I did use 5x the water but I cut down on the yeast. I think I used 3 in a 4x batch and I know that I have used 2 in a 3x batch. As for the clarifiers, I did them in two steps. One at the end of secondary and one about 6 months later (a red wine).

Interesting Rocky, might I ask why you backed off on the yeast quantity?

the normal yest dosage is one gram per gallon. the 5 gram packet is appropriate for one kit. if you reduce the amount of yeast it will take longer for the yeast to reach the colony size to insure a good fermentation. this delay can cause bacterial contamination as there isn't any co2 blanket on the wine during this lag period. yeast is cheap no reason to risk a good fermentation for a packet cost ofless than a dollar

Latest posts

Back