What's new in your cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With such a diverse group of wine drinkers, spread out not just across North America, but all over the world, it would be nice to see what wines folks find and collect. I realize that we have a "what's in your glass tonite" thread, but waiting til someone cracks a bottle open sometimes means one may have difficulty locating a wine from earlier vintages. We could share amateur and professional tasting notes, photos of the bottle, best pricing, where to find it, that sort of stuff. There are thousands of wineries just in the US, many small and unheard of, but I'd bet we have members near lots of them. Could be little hidden gems in the rough, wines you collect from big wineries, whatever you like.

Quite a few of our members regularly post this type of info in a thread, it gets some comments for a while, and then drifts into the electronic depths of WMT. This thread would, at least, give us the opportunity to keep that type of info together and a little easier to find.

What's new in your cellar?

Several of us are on Cellar Tracker. Easiest way I know to keep track of your growing inventory (both commercial as well as home brew). Feel free to peruse anytime!

Last edited:
Several of us are on Cellar Tracker. Easiest way I know to keep track of your growing inventory (both commercial as well as home brew). Feel free to peruse anytime!

From your cellartracker page, when I tried to look at your cellar list:
You do not have permissions to browse this cellar. This user has explicitly disallowed access to their cellar.

Ummm, seems that there is a "failure to communicate" here? :?

I think this might be a case of you show me yours, and I will show you mine.... LOL

I think you have to sign up on Cellar Tracker (it's free) and send me a friend request.

From your cellartracker page, when I tried to look at your cellar list:

Ummm, seems that there is a "failure to communicate" here? :?

Cellar Tracker is awesome, though I've stopped managing it. I used to only try new wines, but lately I really haven't had a lot of time to do investigating and the fact that Fedex became a jerk for a bit and stopped shipping to Connecticut. (though I hear that has now changed)

I need to find the time and go update my Cellar Tracker inventory list. While I still have well over 100 wines as Cellar Tracker says, a majority of them aren't commercial wines anymore. (I drank them!)

My Cellar Tracker link is in my sig. Mine is shared publicly.

I just started using Cellar Tracker a couple of months ago.

@ibglowin - I was able to see your cellar, and I don't think we are friends so perhaps you guys do not have a funded login? BTW what an amazing cellar! Looks like you lean toward the big bold wines of Napa and Washington State. I am still figuring out what I like best, and I love variety, but know for sure I like French Rhone Reds and Italian Piedmont Reds Here is mine:
https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=List#selected%3DW2300546_1_Kd8c3395d76421121de909d839299da82

I like the way John started the thread - we all live close to wineries that may have wines we like and could share. For example here in Georgia we have extremely difficult growing conditions, but I have had a Tannat to rival Uruguay, and Norton/Cynthiana that was excellent for my taste. I have these in my cellar, but don't have them on Cellar Tracker because I haven't bothered to take photos of the bottles etc... Also I don't have any wines I have made, or any other homemade or kit wine on Cellar Tracker. That would be really interesting if we could compare notes on kits and must buckets etc. I think this could drive better quality from suppliers.

Yep, since your a registered user you could see my inventory!

One of the really nice features of CT is that 99.99% of the time, somebody has already created not only the wine you are adding to your cellar but also a photograph as well. I think I have only posted one or two pics over the course of 3 years now on CT.

I just started using Cellar Tracker a couple of months ago.

@ibglowin - I was able to see your cellar, and I don't think we are friends so perhaps you guys do not have a funded login? BTW what an amazing cellar! Looks like you lean toward the big bold wines of Napa and Washington State. I am still figuring out what I like best, and I love variety, but know for sure I like French Rhone Reds and Italian Piedmont Reds Here is mine:
https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=List#selected%3DW2300546_1_Kd8c3395d76421121de909d839299da82

I like the way John started the thread - we all live close to wineries that may have wines we like and could share. For example here in Georgia we have extremely difficult growing conditions, but I have had a Tannat to rival Uruguay, and Norton/Cynthiana that was excellent for my taste. I have these in my cellar, but don't have them on Cellar Tracker because I haven't bothered to take photos of the bottles etc... Also I don't have any wines I have made, or any other homemade or kit wine on Cellar Tracker. That would be really interesting if we could compare notes on kits and must buckets etc. I think this could drive better quality from suppliers.

I love the fact that since its web based, my inventory is everywhere I go. If I am at Costco and see something, I can instantly find out if I already have that wine in the cellar. I can maintain my cellar from any computer. With over 500 bottles in my commercial side of the cellar and that much or more on the "home brew" side, I need all the help I can get!

It was just a thought, although it appears to not have much traction.............

I'd personally rather do it here than have yet another web group to be a member of and manage, but that's just me.........

I love the fact that since its web based, my inventory is everywhere I go. If I am at Costco and see something, I can instantly find out if I already have that wine in the cellar. I can maintain my cellar from any computer. With over 500 bottles in my commercial side of the cellar and that much or more on the "home brew" side, I need all the help I can get!

Sounds pretty cool, but I question the reality of me starting now to catalog and log 1500+ bottles of wine in, and track which ones I drink, probably pretty much slim to none......

So in case anyone didn't already know this, it IS the Spring shipping season! It's like Xmas only it comes twice a year (Fall as well!) :db

I am a member of probably 20 different wine clubs. Some have required allocations, some not. I have a couple of local buds who are wine lovers/connoisseurs as well. We get together and order what we want and usually get between 10-20% off MSRP. Its nice as it helps cut down on the per bottle shipping price if you only have to pay ~50% of it. Last week I got wine shipments in from Saviah, Horsepower, Spring Valley, Avennia, Two Vintners, Secret Squirrel. This week its EFESTE, Quilceda Creek, Reynvann and The Underground Wine Project...... :sm

You would be surprised at how fast it goes. To add a wine in to your cellar just start typing in the "add wine" field and after about 5-10 keystrokes it has already guessed which wine your trying to add....

If your adding homebrew, its even quicker as you can add 30 bottles (or more) in one shot, no need to add each one individually.

Sounds pretty cool, but I question the reality of me starting now to catalog and log 1500+ bottles of wine in, and track which ones I drink, probably pretty much slim to none......

You would be surprised at how fast it goes. To add a wine in to your cellar just start typing in the "add wine" field and after about 5-10 keystrokes it has already guessed which wine your trying to add....

If your adding homebrew, its even quicker as you can add 30 bottles (or more) in one shot, no need to add each one individually.

Sounds like you're hitting me up with the hard sell now.......LOL

It only took me a couple hours IIRC and now I can quickly go in and see what wines I have, the vintage, drinking windows, other members scores and reviews....

Sounds like you're hitting me up with the hard sell now.......LOL

I will be honest, I was really hoping this thread would take off in the direction of the thread starter had mentioned since I am so new to even tasting wine. The cellar worksheet sounds great for those more experienced. I was really hoping to hear about the different tastes that was appreciated from different wines because honestly I read good reviews and try a wine and it is the most awful thing. Also people telling about wineries would be great. North Dakota has just a few and they are not very close to me.

Just my 2 cents. Though I am guessing that this thread is about over. :ts

Latest posts

Back