Craigslist Score and More

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking for some computer equipment on craigslist last week and searched wine equipment for giggles (I never seem to find any good listings out here) but for once came across a guy selling a bunch of stuff for 100.00. I offered 80.00, allowing for time and gas, since he was about 1-1/2 hours from our house. On Saturday while my wife and I were having lunch and she was reading in Westways magazine about the Historical Camarillo Ranch and tours that were available and suggested we go. A couple of minutes later I got an email accepting my offer along with their address In Camarillo asking if we could pick the stuff up on Sunday.

When a coincidence like that happens you just gotta go with the flow. We invited my mom and planned to make it a day trip to enjoy a nice drive, pick up wine stuff, tour the ranch and find someplace for a nice lunch.

My main interest was the Carboys and a lot of the other items I’d just keep as back-ups but I ended up with: 4 - 6 gal. betterboys, 5 primary buckets with lids and seals. Stoppers and Air Traps for all of them. Spare Hydrometer, Alcoholmeter, thermometer, Auto Syphon, Bottle washer, Tubing, some chemicals, a double lever corker, Refractometer, acid testing kit and for another 20.00 he threw in a 60 bottle wall mounted wine rack.

Keep checking those ads, if you find something that looks like a good deal but a bit out of your way find a way to make it into a little adventure and have fun.

Mike

Camarillo.JPG

Score.JPG

Very good deal.

Any mention as to why the person got out of the hobby?

Last edited:
They were a really nice couple in (i'm guessing) their late 30s, they invited us in and probably chatted for half an hour. A few years back they had 10 grape vines on rented property and tried making wine. They didn't study a great deal and based on the chemicals they had left over I don't think they were given very good advise from who every they bought the equipment from. A couple of the carboys picked up an infection or nasty taste and the others were not really that good so they gave up after the one attempt. I did ask before going out there whether they preferred Reds or Whites and left them a bottle of my Limoncello fortified white.

Mike

...my Limoncello fortified white.

OK, that sounds interesting. Details? I recently discovered I had 1.5 liters of Everclear that I'd forgotten about, so its time for me to make some more 'cello.

Hey Jim, I think it's an awesome mix. I've done it with a VR coastal white kit and with my own thompson grapes, both came out nice. I've been making my limoncello with 103 proof vodka and meyer lemons. Water down to 30 ABV with a couple of cups of sugar and water. I end up mixing with about 1 bottle of cello to 6 gals of wine. Heading to Havasu this weekend and EverClear is legal there so I plan on starting a batch using that for the first time next weekend. Darn it all to heck, just realized I don't have any white wine, oh well....time to order a kit.
Mike

Last edited:
Haven't tried making lmoncello myself but have gotten it a few times from a friend. Can't get the high octane Everclear here in PA. Will have to wait until I make a trip into NY or maybe try it with Vodka like mentioned above. Assuming of course I can get that high a proof Vodka here in PA.

Haven't tried making lmoncello myself but have gotten it a few times from a friend. Can't get the high octane Everclear here in PA. Will have to wait until I make a trip into NY or maybe try it with Vodka like mentioned above. Assuming of course I can get that high a proof Vodka here in PA.

Not sure what the law is in PA (probably more restrictive than here). In VA, we can't buy it, but it can be mail ordered. I'm close to both DC and MD, and it was legal in MD until a year or two ago. I used to have my sister in MD grab some for me. Now, I think I'll have to mail order.

Latest posts

Back