Other Rhone Kit Qs: Vieux Chateau du Roi vs. GSM vs...?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent Rhone-style kit. Something with decent depth that would compare to a favorable Cote du Rhone Village or one of the CdR Cru (Chateauneuf du Pape, Gigondas, Vacqueras, etc...).

It appears that most of the CdP kits (Vieux Chateau du Roi according to WE) do not come with skins but some the GSM kits do.
I found it curious that, of the GSM kits from WE, only the 10L kit (World Vinyard) came with skins while the 16L (Selection) did not.

I've got the WE WV Australian GSM kit with Skins on the go right now.

Can you folks make a recommendation to me for a VERY GOOD Rhone-style kit?

I am doing the CC Sterling GSM. It is bulk aging at the moment. To be honest I am not super duper excited about it yet. Hopefully aging helps.

I started the WE SE Vieux Chateau Du Roi back in June, only modifications were using RC-212 which came on the 3 lbs of used Chilean Pinot Noir skins I added. Okay, you made me tip the carboy. Has a really nice nose for a young kit, still notice a lot of alcohol (SG was only 1.085, ABV of ~12%), must be because I was just drinking a beer. Do notice the normal concentrated kit flavor. Not a real Rhone Ranger, so I can't tell you if it is close to anything. Still think it needs at least 6 more months, so I'll have to get a few commercial bottles before then, but I'm sure it will be fine for me since I tend not to be real picky at this point.

I'm sure that was of little help, but thanks for "making" me sample it.

Does that concentrated kit flavor mellow out eventually to become a drinkable nice wine?

Does that concentrated kit flavor mellow out eventually to become a drinkable nice wine?

In my opinion, yes. Only problem is that most of my kits aren't real old yet. I just started making wine 25 months ago. I have a Diablo Rojo kit wine in a bottle right beside me that I've been working on the last few nights (I Vacuvin after each pour) that I wouldn't guess is a kit. I've noticed that most kits I add extra skins to, whether they came with the kit or I supplied them, seems to not have that extreme of a kit concentrated taste as compared to ones that don't. Oh, and a year old Valpolicella kit I have, which I used skins in and it came with dried elderberries, didn't have and I haven't noticed the kit taste in since six or seven months old, one of my favorite wines. If I win the lottery I will make that one again for sure (WE SE kit).

I missed, completely, the Vineco kits when I was searching. Thanks all. I'll look into them.

Latest posts

Back