Tosna

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericurl

The Ferminator
Reaction score
At one time, someone had worked up a formula for TOSNA that made it super easy for me to just plug in my numbers and go.
I think the poster included a link to converting SG to Brix.
It was super easy.

For the life of me, I cannot find it anywhere. Does anyone have it bookmarked or saved?

eta: Also, I'm using Fermaid K if that makes a difference...

Last edited:
Ok, help the dumb guy out, what is TOSNA?

Ok, help the dumb guy out, what is TOSNA?

A quick google came up with:

The TOSNA Effect
A Tailored Organic SNA, or TOSNA, supersedes the standard cookie cutter nutrient regimen that most mead makers have learned to follow in their mead making ventures.

One size does not fit all. Underfeeding your mead will undoubtedly cause many of the issues experienced by most amateur mead makers, such as stuck fermentations, severe drop in pH, and an increase in sulfur and fusel alcohol production.

TOSNA uses only Fermaid-O because of its organic form of nitrogen which the yeast is easily able to metabolize throughout the entire fermentation process, unlike the inorganic form of nitrogen provided by the use of DAP and Fermaid-K.

So, it's a meade made a specific way?

Yeah, sorry. I ended up finding my answer, somewhat. I never did find the formula, and I am certain someone here posted it.

Anyway, yes it's a method of staggering nutrient feedings used mainly in mead making. There's a faction out there that follows a school of thought that pure DAP may not be the healthiest option for yeast nutrition (or that's what my takeaway was anyhow). It also takes into account what yeast you are using and the nutrient requirements for said yeast.

Here's the initial information on TOSNA: http://www.meadmaderight.com/info.html

Another forum linked me to this calculator: http://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/

Latest posts

Back