wine bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishboy

Junior
Reaction score
Anybody know the difference between bordeaux and burgundy wine bottles? I'm going to bottle some red wine and have seen both for sale. It's the color I'm after. I don't think wine cares what shape the bottle is.

It is the shape. Bordeaux have the shoulder and Burgundy do not. Color has nothing to do with it.

EDIT: Sorry, that was not your question. The bottles are from different regions of France. The Bordeaux bottle is more useful in decanting because the sediment gets trapped against the shoulder. I suppose that Bordeaux wines had more sediment at some time in the past. I don't think it affects the wine. It is somewhat like the tradition in Germany where Rhine wines are in brown bottles and Mosel wines are in green.

Last edited:
If you want to be accurate or have the need to be a purist, Burgundy bottles are for Pinot Noir or Chardonnay; Burgundy style wines.

No purist here. Just found a good deal on wine bottles and both types are available. I have red wine blends to be bottled. I'm thinking both will work

So whether the bottle is punted or not is irrelevant?

Bordeaux stacks and labels better. My wife, labeler-in-chief, has barred me from purchasing any more burgundy bottles.

All of the above is right on track! Bordeaux bottles are my bottle of choice too. I buy clear ones for all of my whites, either brown or green for my reds, and my wine cellar is designed to accommodate those size bottles.

I did build 6 racks a tad wider to accommodate commercial bottles which hardly ever seem to fit in the racks..............

Latest posts

Back