WineXpert Must too Hot?? Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetAuburn

Junior
Reaction score
Hello!

First time post, first time making wine. In a little bit of a conundrum because we were following instructions to a T, mixed hot spring water with bentonite then the juice, then the rest of the spring water, but now our temperature reads at 82 F, where the optimal is between 72 - 75 F.

Right now it is covered to keep bacteria out, but the temperature seems pretty stubborn. What is the best way to let it get to the right temperature? We will be storing it in a steady 70 degrees. Do we just cover and leave overnight until it eventually come down?

Don't want to ruin our first batch, any help is appreciated!

Yes, just cover, and, leave it overnight. I do think that you could pitch the yeast at 82 degrees without any issues, but I believe that the instructions will advise to wait until the temperature is lower.

If it doesn't come down, you could put it in a laundry sink and fill with cold water. The cooler mass of the water will help cool it down. I have used this trick a few times when i racked to the secondary a bit too soon and it started to foam up

cheers

what mfg. As you to use hot water ??usually if any temperature it's warm water as to help desolve the clay.

8.jpg

I believe I remember reading in one of my reference books that the maximum differential temp between must temp and yeast starter temp is 16 degrees F. If you exceed that range it can cause a thermal shock to the little guys that eat sugar and shite alcohol.

you can overcome this temp differential by tempering the yeast by adding a little of the must (spoonfuls) to the yeast checking temp and repeat until temp differential is in range. this reduces the temperature shock.

Hello!

First time post, first time making wine. In a little bit of a conundrum because we were following instructions to a T, mixed hot spring water with bentonite then the juice, then the rest of the spring water, but now our temperature reads at 82 F, where the optimal is between 72 - 75 F.

Right now it is covered to keep bacteria out, but the temperature seems pretty stubborn. What is the best way to let it get to the right temperature? We will be storing it in a steady 70 degrees. Do we just cover and leave overnight until it eventually come down?

Don't want to ruin our first batch, any help is appreciated!

A little more info please. What wine?? Fresh grapes, kit, or juice bucket???
Just how much warm water?? What yeast? Fermentation start yet? Be aware that normal fermentation can produce temps in the 80's. As suggested, allow to settle in ambient temp and monitor. Most commonly used yeasts can handle warm temps, and most re-hydration instructions call for 104-109 F water.

Latest posts

Back