VP41 delivered but ice pack melted

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
So how sensitive is this product to ambient temps? I got it delivered today with an ice pack that seems to have melted some time ago. Took a week to get it. No idea how long it was actually in transit..

I put it in the fridge as soon as I opened it. Is this stuff still good?

Next time I will try to find a local source otherwise I won't bother even using it.

Did you take a temperature reading when you first opened it? Did it still feel cold? I'd guess that if your must was still chilled/cold it will be okay. Think, if it were me, I would have started making the wine as soon as the must reached room temperature and not have put it in the fridge. Good luck! Hope it turns out just fine.

Last edited:
I've never had my MLB shipped on ice. I think that's only an issue if you're using the 'test tube' type, which contains a live culture. What I've always bought (VP41 included) comes freeze-dried.

No worries at all.

These beasts are very resilient even at higher temperature. *edit* except if they were not direct inoculation. In that case you might be SOL.

mlb.jpg

Last edited:
Did you take a temperature reading when you first opened it? Did it still feel cold? I'd guess that if your must was still chilled/cold it will be okay. Think, if it were me, I would have started making the wine as soon as the must reached room temperature and not have put it in the fridge. Good luck! Hope it turns out just fine.

I've not made my wine yet.. Getting lugs this weekend.

Last time I order from this company - BOSA out of British Columbia...

Oddly enough I have had a hard time finding this type of stuff in Toronto.. where every mom and pop garden centre seems to sell Cali grapes for wine making at this time of the year...

I really hope this stuff is good still. I am pretty pissed off b/c they I ordered on Spet 9 and just got it. They shipped to the wrong address the first time.

Don't use Bosa if you're a Cdn customer

Latest posts

Back