Oak wine barrels at Walmart?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garymc

Reaction score
I saw these barrels at my local Walmart a couple of days ago. $88 for what appears to be a 60 gallon oak barrel sounds cheap, but I don't see a 60 gallon batch in my near future. Oh, I have yet to have the presence of mind to turn my phone upside down when I take a picture that will be posted here. I don't know why, but WMTalk turns them all upside down. This one looks to be in pretty good shape.

20160915_210720.jpg

20160915_210754.jpg

20160915_210816.jpg

These are most likely being sold as planters not for using to make wine. Pop a bung and shine a flashlight in there, I bet that there's some white mold or bacterial colonies growing in there. Unless they have SO2 in them, which I would be surprised by, smell the inside of the barrel and see if it smells like vinegar or anything off. Barrels are, to some degree, an excellent harbor for all kinds of microbial life. I could stand to be corrected but I would be very surprised if these are being sold as anything other than decoration/planters.

They appear to be used barrels. Judging from the pic, they are near the 'lawn and garden' area (I see firepits in the background). As Luse said, probably being sold for planters or outdoor decoration.

These are most likely being sold as planters not for using to make wine. Pop a bung and shine a flashlight in there, I bet that there's some white mold or bacterial colonies growing in there. Unless they have SO2 in them, which I would be surprised by, smell the inside of the barrel and see if it smells like vinegar or anything off. Barrels are, to some degree, an excellent harbor for all kinds of microbial life. I could stand to be corrected but I would be very surprised if these are being sold as anything other than decoration/planters.

That makes sense, since Walmart is also an excellent harbor for Microbial life. LOL..

Not a bad price if you want one for decoration on the patio etc. Pretty good condition compared to ones selling for even more on CL.

It says french oak on the barrel.... That would make a lot of chips / dust / sticks for $88... French oak spirals at my LHBS go for ~$20 for 2x. Soak in some KMS solution, cut it up, toast to varying degree's....

Cheers!
-jb

It says french oak on the barrel.... That would make a lot of chips / dust / sticks for $88... French oak spirals at my LHBS go for ~$20 for 2x. Soak in some KMS solution, cut it up, toast to varying degree's....

Cheers!
-jb

And keep your friends here in WMT in mind, k? Thanks...

Back