WineXpert 10L Pinot Noir Well recieved...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
Had a little neighborhood friends get together this afternoon. Those who tried my 10L WE Pinot Noir were very complementary on its taste. Man, it sure is nice to have a low end and very young kit wine so well received. Kit was back sweetened with 2 cups of sugar but was otherwise made straight-up.

I'm beginning to think many folks who say they like a dry wine really prefer an off dry. Just a little back sweetening to mellow the bite.

Last edited:
Not saying this is true in your case, but I've found that many who drink my wine, and give glowing reports, want the "free" wine to keep flowing. I am normally not cynical, but I have never had a bad report back, and I know I'm not that skilled of a wine maker. Bill, you have many more years under your belt, so I would think that your wines are much better than mine.

Not saying this is true in your case, but I've found that many who drink my wine, and give glowing reports, want the "free" wine to keep flowing. I am normally not cynical, but I have never had a bad report back, and I know I'm not that skilled of a wine maker. Bill, you have many more years under your belt, so I would think that your wines are much better than mine.

Craig, I'm about 4 months shy of 4 years into this and this was one of my kit not country wines that was commented on. So for now I'm sticking with my analysis... i.e. Many folks, at least in my circle, who say they like dry reds really prefer a little off-dry.

Craig, I'm about 4 months shy of 4 years into this and this was one of my kit not country wines that was commented on. So for now I'm sticking with my analysis... i.e. Many folks, at least in my circle, who say they like dry reds really prefer a little off-dry.

I think your analysis is probably spot on. I've always given wines away freely (as my wife does also) and have had many great comments. Some one, not sure who, raised the question on this forum whether people really liked the wines or just free wines, and that has polluted my otherwise care free attitude about my wines quality. Guess I should spend less time listening to some here and more time enjoying my wine and the fun of giving them away. Sorry to mar your post.

Guys, I'm trying hard to like dry wines, everyone says dry is better. But, to me it's like when my Dad tried to get me to drink Scotch...I didn't like it...he said well, you have to learn to like! BS! I didn't have to learn to like Bourbon!

I am making some dry wines now. But, I'm starting to question WHY? Because I like an off dry wine. You know what, every one of my dry wine friends (except one) will drink an off dry wine and accept additional glasses...hummm.

I don't know... I think some folks don't drink enough wine to really know what they like. So they say things like "dry" and "oaky" because they think that's what they're supposed to say. Give them something pleasant, fruit forward, lightly oaked and a little off-dry... Suddenly, you're a wine making genius.

Last edited:
I agree with the off dry comments above. I too have been making my Reds drier for a Few years now. Had a stuck fermentation on a Chaniti. At 1.000 it was outstanding, huge hit with friends. Go figure. Roy

DRY...so dry that there is dust in the glass. Grind up the cork and I'd drink it. If there could be a negative sugar percentage, that would be better.

But I will drink a semi-dry occasionally

At the winemakermag conference this year the head winemaker for Kenwood Vineyards gave a class of making big reds. One of his suggestions for wine that wasn't quite complete was to add table sugar. It's not legal for commercial wineries in California to do it, but studies show that most Americans prefer just a bit of sweetness in their wines.

I'm glad your guests enjoyed your wine. I've become a bit of a cynic myself when it comes to compliments. For several years I sold my photographs at Art Shows. I received many compliments on my work, so much so that I nearly got tired of hearing it. What I learned from that was that people say a lot, but they vote with their wallet. When someone would hand me a couple hundred dollars for a photograph of mine, that was the real compliment. That meant that I connected with them in a way that was worth them trading their dollars for it.

As for wine, my greatest compliment is when someone says I'd buy that. People in general are nice, and that's a good thing. But it can sure make it hard to know what they're really thinking. My art show experience taught me to take compliments lightly and purchases sincerely :) In home wine making all we shoot for are the compliments though, and it is nice to hear them. Good job.

I guess it depends on how well you know these "friends". Mine tell me exactly what they think. Maybe to motivate me to make something better next time. ;)

Interesting though - when the wine is good - I've had offers to buy cases. Not sure they were serious, maybe just wanting me to say, "oh just take a case I could never take your money"...

Selling your wine to friends is a felony unless you have a tax stamp.

Giving it away in exchange for empty bottles is OK, though. I have even had people buy the wine ingredients and I made it for them, but no money can change hands.

Giving it away in exchange for empty bottles is OK, though. I have even had people buy the wine ingredients and I made it for them, but no money can change hands.

Heres a question: if im a wine supply store, and have a ton of ingredients, can i overcharge for the ingredients to "pay" for the labor of making wine? In other words, I don't sell the wine, I sell the ingredients inside for $15

Selling your wine to friends is a felony unless you have a tax stamp.

Are you 100% certain? Might it still technically be illegal - "Giving it away in exchange for empty bottles" - because of the "barter tax"? Seriously doubt though that they'd go after someone bartering on the scale you're talking about.

"Barter income Barter dollars or trade dollars are identical to real dollars for tax reporting purposes. If you conduct any direct barter – barter for another’s products or services – you must report the fair market value of the products or services you received on your tax return."

Ref: https://www.irs.gov/uac/four-things-to-know-about-bartering-1

Last edited:
I don't know... I think some folks don't drink enough wine to really know what they like. So they say things like "dry" and "oaky" because they think that's what they're supposed to say. Give them something pleasant, fruit forward, lightly oaked and a little off-dry... Suddenly, you're a wine making genius.

I noticed something the other day. I've gotten behind on my label making. We have some wino friends, they drink a lot of wine and actually seem to know a lot about it...at any rate, I value their opinion.

SO we had a house full of friends over drinking wine and cooking out. What I noticed was They seemed be much more critical of the wines that had a label...Pinot Gris, Cab Sav. But, when I would open an unlabeled bottle...here try this red, or taste this white...all of the sudden the "dry, oaky, hints of cherry, bits of leather and fall leaves" tasting adjectives disappeared! It got down to I like it or it's not for me. When questioned about the type, I say you tell me! Most could not identify the wines...now, I am fully aware that could simply reflect on my lack of wine making skills!!

I think you are least 60% right! I think ignorance can be bliss when drinking wine, just enjoy the wine.

It is always nice to get compliments, but when it comes done to it, if they are willing to buy your wine, (and yes we are a licensed winery now) that is the greatest compliment. When you can't keep the bottles on the shelves then you know that you are making a good wine. Janice, Tommy's Too High Wines

No one should listen to us Bozos. Make what you like and drink what you like.

My "good " friends are pretty well straight up on their ratings on my wine. My casual friends I maybe have to agree with you Craig ,but I have to say majority like the dry. Especially red wines.Reds can go anywhere from .998-.994( I have to admit that red kit wines for me have never gone below.994,my red fruits I have sweetened to .996 and above).Whites can go a little sweeter with some.
As GaDawg said", " make what you like".(sometimes you can be your worst critique ;) )

Latest posts

Back