Pulp bags.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDrafter

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum but have already gotten a lot of tips from conversations past so thank you already! I started my first wine last week and did it from frozen grape concentrate so everything was pretty straight forward. This weekend I decided that I would give some fresh fruit a go. I am following a recipe for watermelon wine and this is where my question comes in.
What is the best process for managing the pulp bag? Obviously I tied it off to prevent losing any but do I just put the whole thing in or should I close up the lid with the end hanging out for easier retrieval when I'm ready for the racking? The only negative I could see about having it hang outside the batch would be contamination but didn't know if I should worry about that in the primary fermentation or not.... (I'm using a 7 gallon or so HDPE bucket w/ sealing lid that has air lock hole w/ rubber grommet)

Just throw it all in.

I will add that you picked what some might consider the most difficult fruit wine to make as your second batch. Make sure you read what Keller and others have to say about yeast starters for watermelon.

I am pretty worried now lol! We will see how it goes. We cut up enough for 2 batches so if at first we don't succeed we will try again but only the once if it's a pain hahaha.

Thanks Roy. I think I'm going to move it to the basement. About 65 down there year around :)

We wrap the bag around the outside and put the lid on loosely (covering the airlock hole as well). It makes it easy to stir everything, although you have to stir slowly and gently so you don't twirl the bag around the spoon. We've tied the bag as well with no problems. The only think to pay attention to is the elastic dramatically popping off the bucket when putting it on or replacing it if it pops off. It's no big deal, but will create a cloud of atomized liquid. Either way you do it, the bags are fantastic.

Back