Canadice Grape Wine -- 10% PA to 0% in just five days?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GirardFarm

Junior
Reaction score
I've made wine before, but not for awhile and from other fruit besides grapes.

I have a big crop of canadice grapes this year and decided to follow a recipe for white wine in my book, "The Joy of Home Wine Making" by Terry Garey.

I started the batch last week with a little over one gallon of freshly crushed grape juice and some montrachet yeast. In a 6 gallon bucket fitted with an air lock, I then placed it in the corner of our very warm kitchen, which these late August days runs between 70 - 80 degrees. It was burping pretty good the next morning and so I took off for the beach for 5 days.

Original PA of the juice before adding yeast was about 10%, which, on the lower end, is about what to shoot for in the recipe. Low and behold though, upon my return the PA is now 0%? Very fast, or is this normal in warm temps?

My question is, can I still add a little bit of sugar syrup to this wine to bring the PA up from 10%? I'm concerned it may not keep well at 10%. Also, even though the wine is no where near done and aged, it is quite acidic and dry -- that's saying a lot for me, because I don't like sweet wine!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Latest posts

Back