Is foam needed during fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratzilla

Junior
Reaction score
I just poured the yeast into my container, I filled the container a little too much and the foam went over the top a little and i had to take the cap off ( not using any fancy wine making kits, just a Welche's juice bottle, cant afford much at the moment) and it made me wonder if i could just remove the excess foam? It isn't foaming over now though.

Don't seal up an active ferment and use a container that will give you some space for fermentation.

Don't seal up an active ferment and use a container that will give you some space for fermentation.
Thank you, I don't seal it unless I feel like having it blow up and making a huge mess haha.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me will reply, but I see the foam being byproduct that has floated to the top, that sticks together well enough to form pockets of gas as the CO2 is released from the active ferment. Is it necessary, I'd say no, however it is a visual indicator that you have an active fermentation.

If you foamed over by just adding the yeast, you aint seen nothin yet! You primary ferment-er is too small. Once the ferment gets going its going to get a foam cap that will most likely overflow your juice bottle. Find a food grade plastic container that has at least 2-4" head space above the liquid (the must). Cover the container with a cloth. You should be stirring and recording SG with a hydrometer daily. You need a few basic tools to assist and assure a good outcome. A few more details about your project would help generate some good advice from all the good folks here. Keep posting and asking and you will be rewarded. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back