Just finished a batch (WineXpert Pinot noir)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brobeans

Junior
Reaction score
I have very little experience in tasting wine. I've never tasted wine that hasn't been aged.

Since this is my first batch I'd like to make sure it isn't contaminated before bottling.

When I taste it, it's extremely strong. Doesn't seem like it's 11% (what I calculated it to be after measuring specific gravity before and after fermenting)

What indicators should I be looking out for?

When you say strong, what do you mean? Alcohol will be a throat burn. If it's a sharp taste before the throat it's likely still gassy. What kit was it and what were your starting and ending specific gravities?

When I say strong, it tastes like it's more than 11% abv lol. Definitely not sweet

Original: 1.090
After 2ndary fermentation: 0.994

Brobeans...fill a clean bottle about 2/3 full...cap it tightly with your thumb...shake it up...release your thumb...if you get a Pffftt, you got gas. Even if you stirred for 20 minutes, you got gas. That CO2 will give you that sharp taste just like AZMDTed said. If you followed the instructions time line, I bet you got gas.

airlock the carboy and just let it sit a few months. I made the same mistake on my first few batches and I am still opening wine that has gas. I have to open and let it sit...the gas will blow off. Time is your brand new best friend.

You guys are right.

Just used the graduated cylinder that I normally use to take specific gravity readings and filling it half way and shook it up. Lots of bubbles and a lot of air lol.

So should I use the drill to mix it more or just leave it?

> So should I use the drill to mix it more or just leave it?

If you can bulk age it, leave it alone.

I'm glad you got it figured out. Gas is a big problem for some of us. Bulk age it for 6-9 months, or make sure it's 75 degrees and got at it with the drill again, but it might take a while.

Also, for the record, your alcohol level is 13%, not 11%, at least that's what I get using your before and after SGs. I use the calculator at Grape Stompers http://www.grapestompers.com/calculations.aspx.

Good luck

The alcohol taste will go down as the wine ages. The wine has fermented dry at 0.994. There is no sugar left so it will not taste sweet. If you want it sweet, you will have to stabalize it and sweeten it back. By sweetening it some you will probably tone the alcohol taste down at the same time. Draw a little glass and add a little bit of sugar to it. See if that helps. make sure you stablalize it before you sweeten the whole batch or it will most likely start fermenting again. Arne.

Ya, it looks like you've got 12.6% wine there. Take start SG-Finnish-SG X 131=12.576%. I use a whip and a drill to degas. 5-10 min is usually enough. If you have a vacuum pump that also works well to degas. If you are a Saint, you can wait. :ft I'm not.

Back