Newbie airlock question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgoergen

Junior
Reaction score
First batch of wine for me. I'm using Winexperts Vintners Best kit for chardonnay. So I've been fermenting for about a week, but haven't seen any bubbling in the airlock. I took a hydrometer reading and it appears to be 1.01

Any reason for concern?

Thanks

Based on the current SG it's ready for transfer to secondary fermentation container.

Also very important - what was the initial SG reading?

What is it in now and how big a batch is it. IF it's in a plastic fermentation bucket the seal on those things is lousy and it's not at all unusual to NOT see any bubbling.

Based on the current SG it's ready for transfer to secondary fermentation container.

What is it in now and how big a batch is it. IF it's in a plastic fermentation bucket the seal on those things is lousy and it's not at all unusual to NOT see any bubbling.

Initial reading was 1.09

It is indeed a plastic fermentation bucket.

The instructions indicate to wait until it's below .996

No?

If that's what the instructions say it should be fine as long as you get it off the dead yeast promptly. Wait for their magic number to rack it. You shouldn't do any harm racking it now but following instructions takes the worry away for you. Temp in room between 65 - 75 degrees and all should be moving along. The last part of fermentation takes a little longer. Are you stirring it once a day now? Normally that keep the process moving along a little better.

So no bubbling is not an issue with a plastic bucket. If you want to see bubbling, wet down the seal with distilled or clean water and snap it on good and tight. Also wet down the grommet for the airlock. Had the same problem several times. But in reality seeing the bubbling is nothing more than a 'feel good' thing. A lot (50% or more) just cover their fermentation bucket with a cloth cover and maybe tie a string around the top to keep it in place.

Last edited:
First batch of wine for me. I'm using Winexperts Vintners Best kit for chardonnay. So I've been fermenting for about a week, but haven't seen any bubbling in the airlock. I took a hydrometer reading and it appears to be 1.01

Any reason for concern?

Thanks

No reason for concern. Your hydrometer is the only way to tell if the specific gravity is changing.

Back