PLease help me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellnar

Junior
Reaction score
Hello every body, I'm a newbie here. please let it go of my mistake :tz :tz. But somehow i got a crazy fermantation like the picture below. is there anyway the batch is ruin? and should i put the airlock back on? because it flew off after 15'.
Thank you

IMG_20160820_242009344.jpg

oop's dang I never got that good a fermentation,
oh welcome to WMT,
if it's very newly starting it should be in a bucket with a towel over it, ,
what you making,
what's your starting SG
is that freshly started
you probably need someone marter tin mi,
if you just started that batch did you take a specific gravity reading with a hydrometer?
if freshly started it needs air till your SG reading gets to around .999 or a little less.
maybe a little more info on what you got going on, SG, type stuff using an so on??
Dawg

Hi Dawg,
It's a fresh batch. I read that I need to use starter so i make a cherry starter ( I boil cherry with water and light sugar) about 9 hours in advance. i then mix 1/2 galon of milk with 2 lb of sugar and shake it good. AFter that, I mixed in the starter and shake somemore.
Somehow, after I put the airlock on, it flew off in around 15'.
Now i learnt that i need to put a towel over it. thank you so much, Dawg.
Hell'

you're quite welcome, happy to be able to get to start helping, they have helped me tons upon tons from this site,
yeah the milks got me stumped,
where'd you come up with a cherry recipe that uses milk, that's if you don't mind, I got a couple recipes and have read probably 40 or 50 more, but I aint never heard of milk on any recipe,
Dawg

Hello everyone,
Sorry for the late reply. It was night time over at my place. I went to Tibet once and I tried their yak/ horse milk wine. They used some kind of berry big and red like cherry. I asked and the tour guild said it's some kind of herb that is hallucinogenic. So i used cherry instead.
@Salcoco, I did leave 4 inches and the white chunk on top filled. :( and thank you, I think puting it to 2-3 gallon bucket is a great idea.
Van

hehe, all I could remember was that yak milk they got a name for it with that herb or fungus or what ever it was they mixed to it , I see you woke up several people up. not enough to cause me to get out the absinth(green fairy) 132 proof whew talk about nasty, I keep getting told if I learn what to mix with it, but still yucky so far,,
Dawg

Fermented (mare's )milk is a central Asian traditional wine called koumis. It is typically as strong as kvass about 2 or 3 percent alcohol by volume, but I have made a version of koumis using cow's milk and have added honey to boost the sugar content and create a mead that is sometimes known as lactomel. What can happen is that the yeast separate the curds from the whey and the curds can block any airlock and so cause a volcano as the CO2 creates pressure. The only way to make koumis (IMO) is in a bucket then you can remove the fermenting whey from the primary and use the curds, either for a cheese or to eat them. They are sweet and quite delicious. The fermenting whey is a taste that is acquired IMO. Not a drink that I turn to at the end of a long day.. but hey! my long days are in Upstate New York and not in Asia..

yep that was it's name, brrrrr,
Dawg

Fermented (mare's )milk is a central Asian traditional wine called koumis. It is typically as strong as kvass about 2 or 3 percent alcohol by volume, but I have made a version of koumis using cow's milk and have added honey to boost the sugar content and create a mead that is sometimes known as lactomel. What can happen is that the yeast separate the curds from the whey and the curds can block any airlock and so cause a volcano as the CO2 creates pressure. The only way to make koumis (IMO) is in a bucket then you can remove the fermenting whey from the primary and use the curds, either for a cheese or to eat them. They are sweet and quite delicious. The fermenting whey is a taste that is acquired IMO. Not a drink that I turn to at the end of a long day.. but hey! my long days are in Upstate New York and not in Asia..

Aaah, That's why i got the volcano after 15'. i did some reading online and the lipid actual speed up the yeast multification. And btw, if the curb on top is mixed in again, would it ruin the batch? I read online and they say people keep the two together. I did mix in 2 lb of sugar and now, i just put in 10 oz of honey. I know this will be disaster but worth a try, hehe.
Thank you all with your help

not at all I experiment all the time with my fruits and berries I use honey quite a bit in the end stages an back sweetening, I have had some pleasing results I'd never had, had I never took a crazy chance or 2 um maybe even more.
Dawg

Aaah, That's why i got the volcano after 15'. i did some reading online and the lipid actual speed up the yeast multification. And btw, if the curb on top is mixed in again, would it ruin the batch? I read online and they say people keep the two together. I did mix in 2 lb of sugar and now, i just put in 10 oz of honey. I know this will be disaster but worth a try, hehe.

no the cap remixing from no older then it is should be ok, when I start a ferment I breakup my cap daily and mix with a drill to add as much oxygen but only during your fermentation , soon as you get close to dry,(.999 or less) do you have a hydrometer, if not you need one, make sure it is for wine not hard liquor, best of luck,,,, I'd enjoy you posting on this thread your results once you have it ready for bottling of course you trip getting to their, lol
Dawg

Oh, thanks Dawg. I see, I dont have a hydrometer for i'm poor. hehe. just use 3 lb of sugar for 1 gallon and hope it turn out right. hehe

That looks like the fermentation cap on the top and the rest of ur wine on the bottom. I would leave it for now. Also, it looks like your airlock is upside down and not tightly closed around the top of the bottle.
Good luck!

your air lock looks fine but your universal stopper does look to big, does it sit down in the neck creating an airtight seal when the time does come, without a hydrometer I use to give my wines from 7 to 10 days in fermentation bucket, before going to my primary carboy, I sometimes buy all natural but cheep apple juice to make a quick drinker, I guess most on here use grape tannin's for a solid finish or staying away from a watery finish in your swallow , when I got it I use crap apples just a little to let that drink end with a little tart or bite to it. most use this or that to stay oxidation away from your wines, I mainly use EC1118 yeast and run my alcohol up to 14% to 18% ABV, that allows your wine to store nicely. I didn't check, what country you in, I noticed some from different countries have trouble getting yeasts and chemical additives, srobate, k-meta so on an so fourth. also you might want to get some smaller bottles so when you start a batch you can make extra so you have a like type to use as top off with, I know some on here used a smaller bottle like a screw top soda bottle and lid fill with extra screw lid as tight as possible then store in fridge in several bottles of your extra, I use extra bottles with small stoppers that's drilled using extra air-locks, but as I said if that's a problem then try using plastic soda bottles and lids fill them up with your extra must, in the fridge it should be cold enough to keep fermentation stopped, then just add some each time you rack to top off with, I would use if making in gallon batches 3 or 4 soda bottles per gallon batch, each one gallon will for me rack 3 or 4 times so a soda bottle per racking.
Dawg

My so called wine has separated into two part no matter how hard i shake. :( Maybe it is ruined

yey, it's done. my milk wine. tasted it, the alcohol maybe 5-6 %. I just put in more honey so the alcohol lvl rise up. nvm, the alcohol is starting to kick in. it doesn't taste that strong but now i'm dzzlly, well, ioa dunkl.

IMG_20160821_234000086.jpg

IMG_20160821_235409948.jpg

Back