Other Red kit good at 3 months

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkmoron

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all in quite new to winemaking. I've done a few kits but I realize the kits I'm making probably taste better after 6 months to a year. I'm looking for a kit/ style that would taste great after 3 months or less. Got any ideas or input? Would it be better if I made a white?

I've made 2 cabs and 1 Pinot noir and in going to do the winexpert super Tuscan this week.

The 10L kits are supposed to be ready in a relatively short period, compared to the 16 and 18L kits. But, I've never purchased them. The ones I had given to me were pleasant and drinkable.

The 7L mist kits are quick drinkers - I've done two and my wife and daughters love them (she-she girly flavored wine). They're okay, but I wouldn't think these are in your wheelhouse given the three kits you've done already.

Whites are ready much sooner, and taste good at 3 months. But the higher end whites don't hit typically their stride for 6-12 months.

Unfortunately, the things that make a good wine kit are the things that make aging a necessity. More juice, less concentrate; a grape pack for reds; and, oak. And, then, I will tweak a bit around the edges with raisins, yeast swaps, additional oak or tannins.

Time makes the best wine, though...

Hi all in quite new to winemaking. I've done a few kits but I realize the kits I'm making probably taste better after 6 months to a year. I'm looking for a kit/ style that would taste great after 3 months or less. Got any ideas or input? Would it be better if I made a white?

I've made 2 cabs and 1 Pinot noir and in going to do the winexpert super Tuscan this week.

ever consider beer? Longer first day brewing (boiling) but gets in the bottles quicker. I have heard it said it takes a lot of good beer to make good wine. you make already have all the equipment you need. Just a thought.

There is a Mezza Luna Red and a California Trinity Red that are decent early drinkers...but I will tell you, they get better with some added time. I understand whites are better early drinkers than reds...same time as above though in my experience.

Mist kits are the only reds that will be ready that soon, but they are terribly sweet. If you alter them to higher alcohol, you just have to wait longer for them to mellow.

Blackberry Shiraz would be a fair choice for a 3 month red that isn't too bad.

The CA trinity red was drinkable at 3mos, but is much better at 6mos and I believe will be good at one year. I have tried to find an early drinker that is ready in 3mos but think its best to just wait a year before trying.

There are wine kits that say they're ready in three months .That's 3 months of aging of course not start to finish.Grand Cru's are said to be done in 3 months but I always give them 6.They have a Bergamais that's best drank early( or so it says) you could try.The mist wines are quick but very sweet.If you're in a rush maybe do up up a DB?

The smaller the kit size in liters, the earlier they are ready. You could get 7L or 10L kits to be good in three months, which would include some reds and some whites.

Hi Milkperson;

I have found that higher end kits normally taste better at all stages of the aging process. I realize that they benefit from aging, but if I run short of wine (happens sometimes), I fill the "hole" with a high end kit.
My recommendation for a kit that is quite nice very young (even less than 3 months) would be RJS Winery series (En Premeur) Super Tuscan.

Cheers;

Bar

Back