What's your favorite Sangiovese blend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Hey folks,

What do you like to blend with your Sangiovese and what ratios do you work with?

Im planning on trying one this fall (from fresh fruit) - 80% Sangiovese, 20% Cab Sauv. or Merlot.

Any other interesting combinations you've had success with?

Thanks

Sangiovese is one of my two favorite grapes (along with Cabernet Sauvignon) and I have blended it a number of ways. I currently have a 1:1 blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon and a 2:1:1 of Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese and Merlot in my cellar. Of the two, I prefer the latter but both are very good.

Sangiovese is a great grape and is the only one used to make two of my all time favorite wines: Brunello di Montalcino (DOCG) and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (DOCG). Of course, it is the primary grape in Chianti, also. My point is, it makes a very good wine all by itself.

I find that san gio can be a little light at times. I like to blend it with merlot (10%) or even better, Petit Sarah..

Color and body. I have found that it benefits from a mild blending with a darker, more full bodied grape (like Merlot, petit sarah, or even cab franc).

It seems that I do better in competition when blended with Merlot, but I personally prefer a 10% of Petit Sarah.

Sangiovese is a great grape and is the only one used to make two of my all time favorite wines: Brunello di Montalcino (DOCG) and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (DOCG). Of course, it is the primary grape in Chianti, also. My point is, it makes a very good wine all by itself.

Rocky,

I could not agree more with you on those wines!! I first had Brunello in Tuscany and it has been one of my all time favorites ever since.

I know that those wine are made from 100% san gio grapes. The curious thing is that they are WAY more full bodied than what I can achieve using San Gio grapes from California. After several batches, I took to blending and found that the wine was much closer to a real brunello in look, flavor, and body.

Have you have the same experience with American grown san gio grapes?

DOCG - always look for the stamp, and (even better) the rooster as well!

I have placed an order for 10 pails of frozen Sangiovese from Sonoma, so it will be 100%. I thought about blending, but decided to see what 100% Sangiovese would taste like. I made an 80% Sangiovese 20% Nebbiolo back in 2004, also from Sonoma, which was very good, but haven't made any since then.

Rocky,

I could not agree more with you on those wines!! I first had Brunello in Tuscany and it has been one of my all time favorites ever since.

I know that those wine are made from 100% san gio grapes. The curious thing is that they are WAY more full bodied than what I can achieve using San Gio grapes from California. After several batches, I took to blending and found that the wine was much closer to a real brunello in look, flavor, and body.

Have you have the same experience with American grown san gio grapes?

DOCG - always look for the stamp, and (even better) the rooster as well!

John, I have only made Sangiovese from Italian Juice and none from California and none from fresh grapes. I know that even in Montalcino, there is both Brunello di Montalcino and Rosso di Montalcino. Only the best Sangiovese grapes go into the Brunello and the rest go into Rosso. I suspect that the juice we get over here from Italy would have been Rosso in Italy. I don't see my paisani sending the "good stuff" to us.

So adding about 10% if you're going to blend should do the trick? Seems like such a small amount. I might make a small batch of 100% and then another batch that is blended with something like merlot or Cab Sauv

thanks

So adding about 10% if you're going to blend should do the trick? Seems like such a small amount. I might make a small batch of 100% and then another batch that is blended with something like merlot or Cab Sauv

thanks

10% works for me and (to me) it makes quite a difference. It is really just a matter of what you like...

I just bottled a sangiovese merlot blend that was 67/33. it was from California juice. Aged is a 54 liter demi. I am VERY happy with the flavor. They were blended after a 10 day primary fermentation and aged together for over 11 months.

I just bottled a sangiovese merlot blend that was 67/33. it was from California juice. Aged is a 54 liter demi. I am VERY happy with the flavor. They were blended after a 10 day primary fermentation and aged together for over 11 months.

Good to hear. Did you oak? If so, with chips? Barrel?

Don't have a barrel folks, unfortunately. What is your favourite barrel laking alternative?

IMHO, When it comes to oak, the bigger the oak, the better...

In other words,

Take a barrel over staves,
Take Staves over cubes,
Take cubes over chips,
and take chips over powder.

To be honest, I have not used the wood spirals that are on the market, so I am not sure where they would fit in my list..

With oak, the characteristics I desire are extracted from the caramelization layer (just below the wood's char). The bigger the oak, the more of this exposure.

Now, barrels can be a bit steep in price so I normally go with staves (or sticks). My preferred additive is OXV mini staves.

Latest posts

Back