Does any one recognize this plant?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I raise black elderberry, when they flower they look like umbrellas , where as red elders hang in bunches kinda like grapes, so if they hang like grapes are poison, umbrella type black, good wine, from what I can see of your pictures them look like white elder they are good for wine I hear, I don't know where you are from, i'd need a better picture backuped some so I could tell for sure, but in the US those that hang like grapes poison as is the bark as well. but spread out like a kinda like a umbrella good, hanging in bunches very bad, a way to tell about plants if nothing no birds or deer eat it then you don't eat it,
Dawg hopes that helps

When you are doing a plant ID best to take a good picture of the leaf by itself and the fruit cluster by itself, hard to see definitions against a big green blob. WVMJ

Is anyone familiar with Blackhaw?

I have two blackhaws. I've never gotten enough fruit from them to make wine. However there is good fruit set this year, so we will see.

Blackhaw is a viburnum which is opposite leaved. The plant you have in your pic appears to be opposite as well, though it is hard to say for sure. The berries in the pic don't look like my blackhaws. My berries don't have red stems and the fruit are less round and more oblong or olive shaped. That could very well be another viburnum however.

Can you post some better pics of the stems and leaves?

On second thought, blackhaw is a possibility. Here is a pic of our blackhaw. As above, the leaves are opposite, very finely serrated. Berries are not perfectly round, but when younger olive shaped; when older, round but slightly flattened.

IMG_6691.jpg

On second thought, blackhaw is a possibility. Here is a pic of our blackhaw. As above, the leaves are opposite, very finely serrated. Berries are not perfectly round, but when younger olive shaped; when older, round but slightly flattened.

How about Polk as in Polk Greens? Here is an image of that. Close and if they are = Poision
polk%20salad%2001%20mature%20with%20berries.jpg

Last edited:
It's not poke, also known as polk. Those berries have a very tight pattern to the cluster that I find very appealing. Enuf so that I let some grow in my yard each year. Birds eat the berries with no problem, but I agree both the berries and rest of the plant is poisonous. Even the sap can cause skin irritation when you break off or try to pull up the plant.

Pam incinti

It's not poke, also known as polk. Those berries have a very tight pattern to the cluster that I find very appealing. Enuf so that I let some grow in my yard each year. Birds eat the berries with no problem, but I agree both the berries and rest of the plant is poisonous. Even the sap can cause skin irritation when you break off or try to pull up the plant.

Pam incinti

Not mine. Maybe the OP, hard to tell as the pics aren't that good, but mine are blackhaws, I'm 100% certain.

They look just like chock cherries - not a delightful wanna-be cherry but not deadly. Maybe not but they really look just like a bush in my mother-in-laws front yard in NE. I have a 3 gallon batch in progress that I'm blending with a sav blanc.

Latest posts

Back