WineXpert Spicing a Merlot Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheerfulHeart

Still wineing
Reaction score
I have enjoyed the Merlot Ho Ho kit wine so much I am thinking about infusing a Merlot kit with mulling spices. I have a box of Martinelli brand mulling spice bags (sachets?) which are intended for mulling cider. There are 20 of them in the box. If I make this, I plan to add the spice bags when I rack the wine to secondary. How many would you suggest for 5 or 6 gallons of wine?

Or should I wait for this year's Holiday Island Mist kit to become available and tweak the kit?

CheerfulHeart

Cheerful...I think I would split that batch...spice some of it. You're Cheerful, I'm Fearful I would wind up with 6 gallons of wine that tasted like Halloween! No help on how many spice bags...maybe treat like oak sticks and take it out when you got enough?

But...I like the way you think...no guts no glory!

I would think the mulling spice sachets or the box they come in would suggest cider volume for a sachet. using this volume of wine I would suggest a bench trial with one sachet or a portion of a sachet if the volume of wine is excessive. Let the bench trial sit for a while and then analyze the results before attacking the full batch. good luck

My Ho Ho kit was very good! I'll do another one this year. They are great to give out for Christmas .

Latest posts

Back