GDC Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have gdc, but for me post size is a function of trellis length as that defines the tension you will need. I use 6 in diameter posts for all as the cost delta for the 4 in isn't worth the worries.

A new hybrid variety called Verona. I am seeing two different wire guages being recomended. One says to use number 9, and another source says 12 guage. Does anyone have any comments about this?

Last edited:
I grow muscadines on gdc trellises. I found some 8 gauge, but 9 gauge is what is recommended for muscadines. I know nothing about the variety you are growing. I plant a muscadine at each post and the posts are 20 feet apart in one row, 18 in another row, and 16 in another. I'm experimenting some. So the roomiest ones have 40 feet of cordon for each vine in my configuration. How many pounds of grapes might be produced per vine on your verona variety? The heavier bearing the vine, the heavier gauge the wire. Muscadines can be expected to bear 50 pounds and hoped to bear 100 pounds per vine. One member of this forum says he weighed and recorded 200 pounds off one Ison muscadine.

Thats sounds crazy about the muscadines. I dont know abot the Verona. It is similar to Petite pearl. I guess the 12.5 guage high tensil is stronger than the 9 guage .

12.5 is thinner than 9 gauge. Whether it is high tensile is a different issue, but high tensile is stronger than wire that isn't high tensile of the same gauge. And 8 gauge is thicker than 9 gauge.

Back