New to growing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlietuna

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been making wine for some time now, actually have learned from this site for years. I have just started my vineyard this year & today starting to read this forum. I've read multiple books & have been working with OSU grape folks (I'm in southern Ohio) & talking to local small winery's here.

I have many questions, but I'll read for a while before I start.

I have 175 vines in the ground currently. Marquette, Frontenac, cab sav, cab franc & some concord. This year was more of a learning year & getting hands on with vines. I'm planning on expanding significantly next spring.

Here's a couple pictures of early & now.

Brian

image.jpeg

Looking good and very ambitious. Its a lot of work you are looking at kind of like a full time job. hope you have help. Just remember to have a good spray program. Good luck

Thanks Tony. I have 3 kids & a wife that enjoys helping with the vines & OSU is sending me a spray schedule.

The vines can be a lot of fun at this stage as there is not a lot of work involved with them. As the vines progress that work load increases and things become more of a chore and less fun. My point is to not expand too much until you grasp what you are getting into so you don't get overwhelmed, discouraged and give up altogether.

I think you are off to a great start and are approaching the tasks very well.

Looking good, Brian. I second what grapeman says on not expanding too quick. I have about 60 vines half of which are bearing fruit and it is quite enough to keep them all doing well. Id hold off a few years and let the ones you planted mature to be sure you don' t bite off more than you can handle.

Looks great Brian, very nice and clean. I also echo grape,an. I have ~300 vines and despite my desire for more, realized as I was pruning this year, that is all I can handle while I have a day job.

Good luck and keep us posted as they progress.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm realizing how much work is in this hobby with what I have now. Fortunately I do have time & help.

I was just reading up on post spacing which is the next step. It looks like I may go 4 vines between posts. That will put me at 24' post spacing (3-6-6-6-3). I'm going with 9', 4-5" treated pine unless someone talks me out of it & possibly larger, longer posts on diagonals for the ends. Long metal anchors to support the wire. I think they are 6' with a 5" disk screw on the end.

Any & all advice is appreciated (& needed)

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited:
I am not super far away from you. I have 2 vines between posts (4 x4 x8). It depends a lot on the verity of grape as to how vigorous it grows. I know Frontenac is VERY vigorous and 4 vines between post is A LOT of weight, 2 use to sag my wires. Now Petite Pearl is not vigerious at all and 4 vines would be no problem.

Could I come back in later with additional posts if needed?
Just trying to save a dime.
Thanks.

Easier now before you run your wire, but yes you can. Do you have a tractor with an auger for post holes?

know anyone at your local electric utility? the utility periodically changes power poles due to age or damage. they sometimes have them available for free to anyone who asks. sometime a case of beer slicks the wheels. but if possible the posts are usually 12-19 in in diameter great for end posts. just cut to length.

Great! Thanks guys. I do have a tractor with an auger & a bobcat with one too. But, I don't think I can fit either into my rows without risking hitting vines. (That's the big thing I've learned with this first year) I'll make sure to have all holes dug before vines go into the ground.
Also have a few old power poles laying up in the field. They are big, haven't measured them tho.
Thanks, Brian

Latest posts

Back